Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sell fast intake or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default sell fast intake or not?

i have a ported fast intake sitting here that i bought to put on my NA car. however, now that i purchased a procharger i am thinking about selling it along with the nick williams throttle body that i just purchased. i just don't know what type of gains will be seen over my ls6 intake with ported stock throttle body. any suggestions?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think you will see any gains since you are now pushing air down the intakes neck. You will not see any large gains from the fast on a FI vehical. I remeber a test i read one time that showed a Procharged LS2. They compared the LS6 manifold and a Fast 90. The HP and torque curve stayed the same all the way into the power band with only a 2 HP jump some wear in the lower part of the HP curve. I would say unless you are running a very high HP FI set up wear you are moving so much air you can out flow the LS6 you should be more then fine and you can spend that extra cash on your fuel system wear or some wear that you need it.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...cs-inside.html
Old 07-01-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess the thing with me is that i wasn't even going to run 10lbs of boost. however, it still appears i might as well sell this stuff and work on the heads, fuel system, etc.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you will get a lot more out of it putting the money in other areas. Not sure what the FAST are selling for now a days but i would say you should be able to get at least 800 out of the set. Maybe a little more depending on condition.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the only fast intake I have ever seen to do that. Anyone else got similar pics

I have posted tons of links to threads with people running to 20psi on the fast no problems at all and there are some pretty sure even higher boost levels.

Not sure what the heck happened to your intake but don't think its very common.

I am so far running to 8psi daily, zero problems,couple thousand miles already since put the turbos ,408 and fast on the car.I am a bit leary about the burst panels could maybe have left them out since don't think direct port can backfire like wet single nozzle kit.

I kept the fast for the direct port option. To be able to run low boost and small shot and get instant spool and great cooling effect. Also think the fast should still give better area under the curve on or off boost. I have seen some great dynos with them on boosted applications. There are several in the LS1 dyno book.
Two big thousand hp build ups with fast intakes on the afr website as well.
Aps ran fast on their test mule.
Tony Mamo who is well known on the board has said lots of people are running fast intakes on boosted builds no problem.

Sell it if you want it your choice but really I would try it first. Maybe you want to run a small shot of spray at some point in time too.

I made sure to use rtv where the gasket joins inside the shell and loctite on the shell joining hardware.I also drilled and tapped the map sensor and moved it off the fast intake. Just have vacuum port there now.

I have ran smoke machine test on the my car to make sure the fast is not leaking. It isn't. Will be trying some higher boost on it later this season and not too worried. Doubt will ever go past 15psi though. No real need to.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sold my FAST to get a Vic Jr setup. I was able to sell the FAST for enough to cover a Vic Jr, rails, and a intakeelbows.com elbow.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am not too worried about it failing with mild boost like i will be using. however, for what i can get out of it i think i will sell it unless it will be good for another 40-50 horse.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

what exact advantages does the vic jr have, besides being made of metal so it can handle more boost?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cals400ex
what exact advantages does the vic jr have, besides being made of metal so it can handle more boost?
I would imagine it would have better over all distribution probably?...
Old 07-01-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

There are probibly 100 threads with this same question not to be rude , but do a search please and quit junking up the FI forum
Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

while i would agree there is several threads about this, i have not found much good data supporting one way or another. i hear a lot of "no, the fast intake isn't worth it on a blown car" or i hear "my car runs much better now," etc. i don't see many dyno graphs supporting one way or another regarding a mild build like mine. sorry to offend you.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm well now there is another messed up fast a few threads down. Wonder what happened on that one.Maybe burst panels are a good thing after all?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hmm well now there is another messed up fast a few threads down. Wonder what happened on that one.Maybe burst panels are a good thing after all?
Do not get the burst panels with boost! After my intake warped they gave me a new one, but insisted I run the burst panels. On the first pull with boost, the rear burst panel opened at 10psi and the car shot up to 5000 rpms (from vac leak) and took off down the road. My tuner logged the whole thing. After showing fast the intake and log, they gave me a full refund.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

I would like to hear from anyone else that has burst panels in their fast and if they have blown at low boost like the above poster. I might get a fast 92 to replace my 90 over winter and could leave the panels out this time around.I don't think direct port can backfire like single nozzle wet kits.

Quick Reply: sell fast intake or not?