Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI sf 3000 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI sf 3000 question

I recently installed a tci 3000 street fighter. yesterday to be exact. I try to stall it up and at about 2000 rpm's it starts to grab and i start to spin. I though you were supposed to be able to stall it up to 3000 rpm's on a 3000 stall. I dont know alot about stalls so this may sound stupid. Any answers will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 11-13-2003, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

What you are doing is brake stalling you will not be abel to stall it to 3000 w/o the tires grabbing. The 3000 is just the speed at which the converter locks up. Hope that helped man

WeS
Old 11-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

so whats the point of buying a bigger stall. I thought you bought a stall to launch from a higher rpm.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, that sounds about right. What you're describing is what's called the "foot stall" of the converter and this depends in large part on the braking capabilities of the car and the overall gearing.

What the converter is rated at is called the "true stall" and is what the converter stalls up to when FULL power is able to be applied to the converter (like you can do with a transbrake.)

I have a 4000 stall, for example. Because my car is an '02 ('00-02 have 2nd gear start) I can put it in 2nd, hold the brake to the floor with my left foot, hold the throttle to the floor with my right foot, and see 4000 RPM. If I do this in second gear then the car will move and/or the tires will spin WELL before 4000. This is also what will happen in your '99 regardless of where you put the gear selector since your car doesn't have "second gear start".

Point being, there's nothing wrong with your converter.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

No!! That is a very big misconception, the larger stall converter slips your car into its power band and locks up at the designated stall speed. Also you will notice larger shift extensions and maybe a MPH or 2 on your trap speed. You can launch from a higher stall speed, but it just want be the stall speed advertised on the converter. If you wanted to lauch from a high speed you could buy a trans brake.(not sure if they make one for the 4l60E).
Old 11-13-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

That wasnt for you Colonel, you posted right before I did.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know.

"the larger stall converter slips your car into its power band and locks up at the designated stall speed."

This statement may be a bit misleading for some. There is STILL plenty of slippage after the stall speed. The converter is not locked from the stall speed forward. The input and output sides get closer the same RPM the higher we spin the converter but they (meaning the input and output sides of the converter) will NEVER reach a 1:1 ratio unless we fully lock the clutch of a lockup converter.

The stall speed is simply the speed that the input side of the converter will turn (same as engine speed, obviously) with FULL power applied when, and ONLY when, the output side of the converter is NOT moving. This RPM will change if the input TQ is changed.