General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car battery still being found dead after a couple days of sitting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Car battery still being found dead after a couple days of sitting!!!

I so far have had a few electrical charging issues that I posted about on here. New alternator replaced twice, new battery, new cable end connectors to the side posts, complete charging system check/test, load test etc etc etc. Still have two problems;

1) car battery seems to have a drain on it (or ANOTHER bad battery) which leaves it dead after a couple days of not driving. I have no aftermarket accessories, just the stock monsoon, alarm, and I did the IPOD mod. Pissing me off though

and

2) my pass. side headlight doesn't seem to come up all the time when it auto ons and it seems like it's not closing firmly like the drivers side one. Could my problem be that there is no way for the pcm to know that the light is actually down and continues to draw power? Is there a way I could adjust this light to make it go all the way down tight?

Any help here guys would be great since I have been posting up in these forums so many times about these problems. Ie: Possessed Firehawk revisited, headlight problems etc etc etc. Please help.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haven't read your other posts but from what you say here it sounds logical. I've never had flip up headlights but i would imagine they work similar to your driver window auto down/up feature. I doubt the pcm is involved with knowing the headlight is up or down, it would be more of a simple relay and switch at or near the headlight.
The simplest thing to do would be to unplug power to the headlight motors, either at the motor or if there's a relay for the headlights in the fusebox under the hood then pull that.
If you have a multimeter that can read amperage, you would have to hook it up in series between battery post and the battery cable- note the amperage draw then disable your headlight mechanism and see if the amperage drops, if it does then that's it.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok that sounds like a good place to start. Thanks bro. I'm bringing it into the shop tomorrow though since they have replaced the alt, and the ignition cylinder with keys and still no luck with the dying battery. I just think that there is a tab located near the headlight somewhere that tells the car (module) that the light is in the down position? I'm going into the shop tomorrow (already gave the service manager a piece of my mind ) and they are going to figure it out. I'll let them know what you said about the light motor/relay possibly being the drain. Any way to adjust these lights down anyone? To make them close proper?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt anyone got any ideas here. I tried disconnecting the fuses for the light motors and let the car sit for a couple days without driving it (damn that was hard to do on a nice weekend lol) and it started up fine. So no drain. When I replaced the fuses the car was still running and one light went down (the one giving me trouble) and one stayed up. When I turned them off and on again they worked fine. They always work fine except for when they are auto activated by low light (like at night-Canada cars have this don't know about US). When they come on automatically sometimes only the driver's side comes up and the passenger side stays down. However, if I turn them on manually before they can auto on, they both always come up? SO maybe it is the light motor not being reported to the cpu as being "closed" all the way and leaving an open circuit? I notice it does not close all the way (not quite as tightly as the driver's side) and I wonder if I adjusted this down manually, would the light then maybe trip the sensor appropriately to tell the computer it's off? I'm getting tired of this drain, even though it started up fine this time I don't want to be left stranded. So now I have all clean grounds, new battery, new alternator, new battery sidepost bolt connector, new ignition cylinder and keys, and on and on. Test after test on this car reveals nothing. So it's going to take me awhile to troubleshoot this problem. Maybe the battery was the problem for the low power and battery drain (may have been overcharged when the alt went out?) but these lights are pissing me off! If we can't fix it I may just bypass the whole "low light sensor module" altogether and just turn them on with the switch like most other cars. Anyways, enough rant! ANyone have any other ideas. Anyone know how to adjust these damn headlights down a bit so they close more tightly? What tool is needed? Thanks a ton all.