Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 Swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default M6 Swap questions

One, how hard is it to do? What kind of work am I looking at? Two, how much am I looking at spending? I am planning on getting a T-56 or MN-12 from the junkyard. If I cant find a good one there, I will buy a used one from someone on the forum. Oh the vehicle is a 98 WS6
Old 07-02-2009, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not that bad. Check out the sticky in the trans section.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the middle of a swap right now and honestly, the hardest part is getting ALL of the parts. The swap itself isn't all the hard. So far I've spent prolly 1.5k. I can't wait for it to be done though!!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its fairly easy if you have any mechanical skill. I've done it on 3 separate cars now, and each time it takes about a solid 12 hours labor to get the swap doen, and then another day to get the tune corrected. I highly reccomend:

-Read the sticky, it has all the info you could possibly need.
-Be very very careful cutting your shifter hole out, I screwed up 2 of the cars I did so the #6 boot doesn't fit right.
- Ditch the stupid friggin u-bolt for the clutch master, use 2 bolts with washers and nuts instead. Your life will be a lot easier.
- Save yourself the time, get a brand new master, slave, pilot bushing, and clutch assembly before you start, if you re-use old parts you'll most likely have to pull it out again in short order to fix it.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Its fairly easy if you have any mechanical skill. I've done it on 3 separate cars now, and each time it takes about a solid 12 hours labor to get the swap doen, and then another day to get the tune corrected. I highly reccomend:

-Read the sticky, it has all the info you could possibly need.
-Be very very careful cutting your shifter hole out, I screwed up 2 of the cars I did so the #6 boot doesn't fit right.
- Ditch the stupid friggin u-bolt for the clutch master, use 2 bolts with washers and nuts instead. Your life will be a lot easier.
- Save yourself the time, get a brand new master, slave, pilot bushing, and clutch assembly before you start, if you re-use old parts you'll most likely have to pull it out again in short order to fix it.
Cool. I read the sticky and it kinda looks intimidating, but I got a friend who is going to help me out so the labor part is not going to be that bad. My car has eaten 2 4l60e's in the last two months. That is the reason for the swap. Instead of spending 1500$ on another auto I figured why not.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wooddaniel
Cool. I read the sticky and it kinda looks intimidating, but I got a friend who is going to help me out so the labor part is not going to be that bad. My car has eaten 2 4l60e's in the last two months. That is the reason for the swap. Instead of spending 1500$ on another auto I figured why not.
Thats exactly why I did it on my first trans am. It ate up 3 in 3 months. Take your time, its really not hard. If you know how to get the transmission out of your car you're all set, thats the hardest part.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not bad all straight forward the hardest part is putting in the pedals its a tight spot
Old 07-03-2009, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

master cylinder is the hardest part along with aligning the tranny to go in. expect to spend a little under 2 gz.