Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth switching from one LT to another LT header?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Worth switching from one LT to another LT header?

Currently running SLP LTs. I've been told by my tuner that if I went with something like even Pacesetters I'd pick up ~10rwhp over SLPs. Also, I will get more than 1" clearance LOL.

So, is it worth it to switch headers or they're all about the same and not waste time/money to switch?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want better ground clearance, yes. Most headers net around the same hp, so as far as that goes, it's kindof mute. Keep in mind if you get a mild steel coated header it'll still rust, and those slp ones are stainless, so they'll last forever, but ground clearance with them is murder.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i doubt you would see hardly any gain. Are the SLPs tuned length??
Old 07-02-2009, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a performance standpoint I'd say no but if I had the ole SLPs on my car I'd wanna get rid of em for something else.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Launching!

If you're planning on having the car till the wheels fall off AND have problems scraping the SLP's, switch em out to stainless. If you're only gonna have it for a few more years and have problems scraping, switch em for pacesetters. If you have no problem scraping, it aint broke so don't fix it!
Old 07-03-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLP tuned length headers are designed for more torque/power under the curve but are not as good at high RPM/peak power. Their new longtubes are similar to the kooks, QTP. AR and provide more peak HP. So will you gain peak hp - yes, is that usable HP - depends on how you use the car. You will as stated above gain ground clearance.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs guys! I've had the SLP LTs on since 2001 ... I guess I'll run these until I've bottomed out enough times and rip em off LOL maybe not until then, but I guess I've had them on this long so there's no real need to change them now.

thanks again.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaddySS
SLP tuned length headers are designed for more torque/power under the curve but are not as good at high RPM/peak power. Their new longtubes are similar to the kooks, QTP. AR and provide more peak HP. So will you gain peak hp - yes, is that usable HP - depends on how you use the car. You will as stated above gain ground clearance.
I did not have that much of an issue with the old tuned length making power up top. I also used a baby cam. I made 380 rwtq at 3500 RPM's and from 5900 rpms to 6300 rpms 450 rwhp. That I don't think there was really to much more HP to be picked up with this setup using a different header. Jason from TSP said I might pick up about 5 hp by switching to a different header. Just not worth the cost or time IMO. Ground clearance is not an issue for me as I drive the car with care. However other systems due have better clearance and sometimes they due bang the floorboard.