Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster clutch, bad noises?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Monster clutch, bad noises?

Okay, so today new thing develops with my monster level 3. I have about 2000 miles on it, it was installed and broken in according to the instructions supplied with it. Suddenly, when I start taking off from a stop, it makes a horrible ceramic-on-metal noise, very similar to the sound a semi makes when its coming to a stop is the best I can describe it. It doesn't feel like its slipping but I don't really have enough time using it to gauge that. Anyone else have this noise? I'll try and record it tomorrow and post a sound clip, its very loud and irritating.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Okay, so today new thing develops with my monster level 3. I have about 2000 miles on it, it was installed and broken in according to the instructions supplied with it. Suddenly, when I start taking off from a stop, it makes a horrible ceramic-on-metal noise, very similar to the sound a semi makes when its coming to a stop is the best I can describe it. It doesn't feel like its slipping but I don't really have enough time using it to gauge that. Anyone else have this noise? I'll try and record it tomorrow and post a sound clip, its very loud and irritating.
Give me a call and we'll go over some things, I'm sure it's simple.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ugh, I keep trying to call and seem to call at the wrong time every time. The noise is getting worse, but I'm still not sure what it is.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh, I keep trying to call and seem to call at the wrong time every time. The noise is getting worse, but I'm still not sure what it is.

Does it do it in neutral? Clutch out? Clutch in? IN gear under acceleration? Need some more details
Old 07-07-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I described it pretty well in the first post. Its only under engagement of the clutch from a stop. I'll break it down better:
1. Stopped, clutch in
2. Gas, start letting out on pedal
3. car starts rolling
4. horrid ceramic noises
5. clutch fully engaged, moving in gear now

Basically, in the half-second it takes for me to let up on the clutch, is when it does it. Just to clarify, I am not slipping this clutch very much at all, just enough to make taking off from a stop sign a street-legal event. If I let out any faster I'll end up doing a clutch drop and a burnout. I have tried various RPM's and ways of engaging the clutch, doesn't seem to matter.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry man!

We are closed 12-1 for lunch (CST), give us a shot tomorrow!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

I think I described it pretty well in the first post. Its only under engagement of the clutch from a stop. I'll break it down better:
1. Stopped, clutch in
2. Gas, start letting out on pedal
3. car starts rolling
4. horrid ceramic noises
5. clutch fully engaged, moving in gear now

Basically, in the half-second it takes for me to let up on the clutch, is when it does it. Just to clarify, I am not slipping this clutch very much at all, just enough to make taking off from a stop sign a street-legal event. If I let out any faster I'll end up doing a clutch drop and a burnout. I have tried various RPM's and ways of engaging the clutch, doesn't seem to matter.

Well, that is better. OK, I just wanted to make sure the noise was not present at any other times is what I was looking for. trying to diagnose a problem over teh internet is bad enough, but when you don't have great details, makes it even harder.
Well, since it JUST started after 2000 miles, there maybe something something wrong with the TOB (did you replace it as well?) Or maybe the disc itself. First things first...did you replace teh TOB?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I replaced everything besides the pilot bushing which was as new since it had very few miles on it. I used the slave and tob provided in the monster kit. I will give them a call tomorrow, it appears I kept getting free time at work right when they are at lunch, great timing haha.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Yes, I replaced everything besides the pilot bushing which was as new since it had very few miles on it. I used the slave and tob provided in the monster kit. I will give them a call tomorrow, it appears I kept getting free time at work right when they are at lunch, great timing haha.
LOL, that happens. I'll pm you my personal cell number, if you can't get ahold of us at the shop that cell phone is always in my pocket!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I said screw it and put about 20 passes at the track on it last night, and the noise has gone away completely now. I'm not sure what it was but its completely silent after I beat the hell out of it.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Well, I said screw it and put about 20 passes at the track on it last night, and the noise has gone away completely now. I'm not sure what it was but its completely silent after I beat the hell out of it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Hard to "hear" a noise over the internet, but it might have been some break'in chatter that rear'd it's ugly head (I know you have like 2000 miles on it, and no real reason for that to have happened, but ) at this point, hard to say, especially now that it is gone.
Well, keep us updated on your clutch. Who knows, maybe the clutch wanted a beating
Old 07-12-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it actually drives better now than it did before. I think its because I took it on a 1000 mile highway trip at like 550 miles. It may have glazed over slightly or something like that.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm...i now have a noise similiar to what was described and im at about 1800 miles...may have to go make a few passes down the track tomorrow after work and see if it goes away.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I think I was too easy on it when I was breaking it in. I just drove around town and the let it cool for a while, then do it again. It seems to be perfect now.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM
FormerVendor

If that is what you did to fix it then it was because the disc was glazed. By beating on it you "cleaned" the surface off.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its great now, I bet it glazed over from that long trip early in the clutches life. Now that I'm used to how grippy it is I love it, made me not afraid to push the go pedal down any more, like with my old clutch it would slip anywhere past half way.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Teching In

This sound just like a noise that my friends ss and my z28 make. I usually only notice it, very quietly, on a cold start/first time I take off. I guess I'll be making a few track passes soon to "clean it up" Glad I read this thread.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
FormerVendor

Its great now, I bet it glazed over from that long trip early in the clutches life. Now that I'm used to how grippy it is I love it, made me not afraid to push the go pedal down any more, like with my old clutch it would slip anywhere past half way.
Great to hear!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Mine started making the same noise after the car sat outside for a week without being driven. It's got about 2,000 miles on it and is broken in.

My guess is that the disc glazed over from this as well? So what you're saying is I should just beat the snot out of it and it will go back to normal?

Last edited by dannyo210; 08-05-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by dannyo210
Mine started making the same noise after the car sat outside for a week without being driven. It's got about 2,000 miles on it and is broken in.

My guess is that the disc glazed over from this as well? So what you're saying is I should just beat the snot out of it and it will go back to normal?
Glazing a disc is usually caused by excessive clutch slipping. Yours more than likely was caused by oxidation. This friction material is awesome, but it can be quirky at times.

Beat on the car a bit, it will clear up.

Quick Reply: Monster clutch, bad noises?