Time slip error?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time slip error?

I was at the track today on my 02 M6 SS my last run was against a Trans Am A4.At the end it showed that the winner was the Trans Am but I looked at my time slip and it said I ran a 8.72 at 84.84 mph and the Trans Am was 8.95 at 80.92mph in the 1/8 track?Which would be right the time slip or the time boar at the end of the track?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at the reaction time. add the reaction time and the et up and the lowest number will be the winner aka first to the finish line.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I'd say he probably tree'd ya... 2/10s looks like a TON down at the big end, but it shoots by pretty quick when you're sittin' in the hole...

Dude ran a 8.95 trapping <81 mph... he's clearly geared fairly low; meaning that where he hooks, he's putting some distance down PDQ.

There's a guy at our track running 2nd gen TA who lays down mid-7s trapping under 80... tells me he's light and geared WAY low. Im guessing 4.6x gears; and he rarely leaves over a .57X RT; meaning he's all about winning early... and with all things being equal; he usually does.

Check your slip and it's likely you'll find that ya lost that one back at the hole; despite being the faster car.

It happens... the thing is, is that is what makes Drag Racin' FUN man!

Anything can happen; and it usually does!

Last edited by OVA1; 07-03-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camscam02
look at the reaction time. add the reaction time and the et up and the lowest number will be the winner aka first to the finish line.
I just did and my is the lowest number.Here is my time slip I am number 33.Also Can you explane the reaction time which is better and what is bad?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1246661801
Attached Thumbnails Time slip error?-p7030004-2-.jpg  
Old 07-04-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

No offense, but he killed you off the line. His was a very good reaction time of .0263 while yours was a .4082. Add his reation time to his et. Then do the same for yours. Subtract his from yours and that's how much he beat you by as stated at the bottom of the slip. His slower car beat your faster car because he reacted faster at the start.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tonys02slpss
I just did and my is the lowest number.Here is my time slip I am number 33.Also Can you explane the reaction time which is better and what is bad?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1246661801
Yeah man... He was blasting down the track 4/10s of a second before you began... Your car, on that run, was 2/10s faster than his car... in the measured 1/8th...

If you're staged up next to a guy that is slower than you; you have a little margin there... but ya can't sit in the hole for twice that margin and expect to beat him to the finish line.

We've all been there and there can be NO DOUBT that we'll be there again... that's just racin'... Some of it ya can't help... cold tires, cold track, poor prep... all of it can cause ya to gut the dig... but YOU have got to be moving when that light turns green... and never more so, when the guy next to you is cutting damn near perfect RTs...

Here's a tip... the average person takes 2/10s of a second from the time their brain decides to do something, to get their hand or foot, in this case, to do it.

So it looks to me like you were waiting on the green before you applied the throttle... Get over to the track on test and tune night and practice your starts by staging shallow and applying the throttle on the third yellow.

If you end up staging deep... you'll need to let the yellow age a little... but if you're staged shallow; meaning that you stopped right when the second light came on; then you should slam the hammer once you see that third yellow light up...

By the time your foot gets the word, the Green is lit and you'll be closer to what Dude came away with... and FTR: He got ONE HELLUVA START...

It'll take some practice; and you'll red-lite more than a few passes, but who cares? It's practice.

FYI: think of that Dudes .02 RT as a Home Run which landed in the 5th row of the left field parking lot... Dude was ON IT!

Last edited by OVA1; 07-04-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
No offense, but he killed you off the line. His was a very good reaction time of .0263 while yours was a .4082. Add his reation time to his et. Then do the same for yours. Subtract his from yours and that's how much he beat you by as stated at the bottom of the slip. His slower car beat your faster car because he reacted faster at the start.
I get it know I think I did pretty good this is my 2nd time at the track besides my bald street tires are nor helping me right know.Can you explain where the reaction time starts like worses one and best one you can possibly get?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I get it know I think I did pretty good this is my 2nd time at the track besides my bald street tires are nor helping me right know.Can you explain where the reaction time starts like worses one and best one you can possibly get?
the RT timer starts when the green light turns on and stops when you leave the line.
perfect RT would be .000
Old 07-04-2009, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

It occurs to me that your track may be using a different tree than that which I explained...

Pro-tree lights three yellows simultaneously, then the green... Our track only uses a pro-tree on request, and typically uses the Full-tree, which is described above.

You should be able to request which ever you prefer, by at the most, just indicating it on your window... "FT" -v- "PT"

In either case the RT begins on the third yellow and not the Green... not sure what it is that your track is using...

A Full-tree provides for a perfect .500 as there is a 1/2 second delay between the yellow and Green light. The pro-tree a .4 perfect start... clearly neither of those apply here, but such is not typical; at least in my experience.

Here's an article which goes into the anatomy of the Drag race start... its worth readin'.

http://www.staginglight.com/guide/react.html
Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OVA1
It occurs to me that your track may be using a different tree than that which I explained...

Pro-tree lights three yellows simultaneously, then the green... Our track only uses a pro-tree on request, and typically uses the Full-tree, which is described above.

You should be able to request which ever you prefer, by at the most, just indicating it on your window... "FT" -v- "PT"

In either case the RT begins on the third yellow and not the Green... not sure what it is that your track is using...

A Full-tree provides for a perfect .500 as there is a 1/2 second delay between the yellow and Green light. The pro-tree a .4 perfect start... clearly neither of those apply here, but such is not typical; at least in my experience.

Here's an article which goes into the anatomy of the Drag race start... its worth readin'.

http://www.staginglight.com/guide/react.html
We are using the full tree but a lot of the really fast cars and bikes use the pro tree which is really fast seems like all three yellow lights come on together and then the green.Thanks read the article and it's very helpful.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 608kZ28
the RT timer starts when the green light turns on and stops when you leave the line.
perfect RT would be .000
I get it know thanks for the help.What I still dont get is how he beat me my time and mph is quicker then him?I could see if my mph was faster then him but he got a lower time but both of my time and mph is quicker?I know he beat me by the reaction time but I came in at a faster time and mph?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:53 AM
8 Second Club

Read post #5
Old 07-05-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I still dont get is how he beat me my time and mph is quicker then him?
When the green fell, he left in .02, you left in .4.

You were nearly half a second behind out the gate but not half a second quicker or faster at the end.

Asleep at the tree-----Thats what they mean
Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I get it know thanks for the help.What I still dont get is how he beat me my time and mph is quicker then him?I could see if my mph was faster then him but he got a lower time but both of my time and mph is quicker?I know he beat me by the reaction time but I came in at a faster time and mph?
dude. he had nearly a half second head start because of your RT. in a heads up race that is a lot of time to make up.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

get it know thanks everybody.just got to get better at my reaction time.I have another question how many runs can you expect from a stock 10 bolt rear end with street tires and dumping the clutch like at 2000 to 2500 rpm?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

You should be fine for quite a while if you stick with street tires, but there's no guarantee. BTW you should take that advice about reacting on the 3rd yellow, I went from averaging ~.7 rt to a consistant .1 or less when I learned that little trick
Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
You should be fine for quite a while if you stick with street tires, but there's no guarantee. BTW you should take that advice about reacting on the 3rd yellow, I went from averaging ~.7 rt to a consistant .1 or less when I learned that little trick
So do I stage shallow on the second light and then when the third yellow light comes on hit it?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah when you see that third light come on, hit it. By the time your car rolls off the line the light will be green.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Right on......when you see the 3rd yellow....Go
Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

thanks everybody

Quick Reply: Time slip error?