Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Side Exit Exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Side Exit Exhuast

Update

Well I was changing my oil the other day so I snapped a couple of undercar pics. Also I still havn't had a chance to make a few videos but I did make one. It is just takeing off normal throttle just to kinda show it isn't too loud with the exhuast coming out 3 feet from your ear. Haven't had any problems with cops or anything yet. I will take a couple of vids later today and post them up. I doubt I will be able to catch it on camara but man when you let off after beating on it and then just bump the throttle it will pop something fierce sometimes. The first time it happened I thought I lost a tire. Now if I could only time it to go off next to some nasty Civics or Cavaliers around here.

Video - Taking off in traffic under normal throttle, both windows down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vCxOtxv4Vw

Well It all started when I put headers on. I needed some exhuast that fit so I bought some TSP TD's. I wasn't crazy about the fit and the sound (bullets) so I had a local custom exhuast guy make most of this up. I had a fab shop make up the tips. I wanted something no one else has becuase I am sick of seeing Corsa clones on everything. Yea it looks good I know but about everyone and there mother has them. Anyway the guy made oval pipe for me and its 3" from the headers, then H pipe, through Moroso sprial flows and then out each side. Clearance is better then stock and I haven't hit anywhere. Sound is kind of hard to describe, but it is about the throatiest exhuast I have ever heard on an LS1, awsome at idle, not to loud around town and about nascarish at WOT. Please let me know what ya think.

Last edited by ShortChevy; 07-11-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

It's cool to see something that know ones done before. Plus, it does look sweet.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Can you get a sound clip? I would like to hear what it sounds like.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris02bird
Can you get a sound clip? I would like to hear what it sounds like.
Looks cool. I'm with this guy. Can we hear it?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about some pics under the car. Also do you still have the TSP TD's, and do you want to sell it.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Thats cool man, Moroso's sound so freaking nice i love them.

That second picture looked like it was on 122 on the east side of Jackson then i read you were from muskegon lol. sorry i thought it was funny i could swear i know right where that picture was taken
Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Certainly different. Any sound clips? Are you going to change out your rear bumper cover now also?

You must be one of the first...
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not my cup of tea... especially on a bird where there are cutouts in the rear bumper for tips. But, if it's what you like that's all that really matters. It looks like good placement of the tip. I think I would probably like it better if it was coming out of a ground effects kit or something rather than just hanging bare under the car... kinda like this...

Old 07-03-2009, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

I will see if my friend wants to help me take some sound clips. I already sold the TSP's sorry. As for the comments about the bumper, that's what's nice about the Formula/Firebird bumper, there really isn't much of a cutout for the tips in the back. Everything should look better after I get some black 18's with a polished lip and drop it on Strano's. I'll also try and get some better pics. The one's posted don't really do it justice. I had the guy tuck them up as close as he could and they are tucked in a little bit so it isn't as obvious plus they are painted gloss black. Some people barely notice they are even there. The exhuast isn't street legal and didn't want it to be seen a mile away. Plus the plate says HEY OFCR hehe. (BTW every cop I've asked what he thought of the plate thought it was funny as ****)
Old 07-03-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
The exhuast isn't street legal and didn't want it to be seen a mile away.
What isn't street legal about it?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
not my cup of tea... especially on a bird where there are cutouts in the rear bumper for tips. But, if it's what you like that's all that really matters. It looks like good placement of the tip. I think I would probably like it better if it was coming out of a ground effects kit or something rather than just hanging bare under the car... kinda like this...
kinda my thoughts, doesn't look bad but makes the back end look naked

bet it sounds nice though!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Thats what I was going to do.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always wanted boomtubes but they're relaly high. Those look great! How much did the tips cost you to have made?
Old 07-03-2009, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gordo78
I always wanted boomtubes but they're relaly high. Those look great! How much did the tips cost you to have made?
Paid a fab shop $100 cash. They are 12 gauge (almost 1/8") thick. I was a little worried about them holding heat and hurting the paint but I can jump out of the car and put my hand on them and hold it anytime. I figure they are large enough that they are pretty much air cooled.

Last edited by ShortChevy; 07-03-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Here is another one.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/4831287-post1.html

Boyce is another place to get boom tubes.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
What isn't street legal about it?
For one there isn't any cats. No smog here tho. But by law the exhuast has to exit past the furthest seal of the car, usually the trunk. I am not sure how OEM's like dodge get away with it on the Viper.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
kinda my thoughts, doesn't look bad but makes the back end look naked

bet it sounds nice though!
I think after it's lowered and has some wheels it wont look naked anymore. I do not like T/A's without tips tho. That looks really naked. I have toyed with the idea of attempting to make a fiberglass air diffusser back there. I made a fiberglass stealthbox that came out perfect.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
For one there isn't any cats. No smog here tho. But by law the exhuast has to exit past the furthest seal of the car, usually the trunk. I am not sure how OEM's like dodge get away with it on the Viper.
The cats thing is fixed easily enough, and if there is no smog where you are then it doesn't matter. The exhaust exits past the seal of the door, so that is the farthest seal on the sides of the car.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its original. I want to hear it though....

Subscribed for a sound clip bro.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

fyi, look in to coatings for that wheel behind the side exit. It will get dirty quick. I ran an offroad x through a Bassanni on my lightning and the passanger rear wheel was getting pretty coated in black.