Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plz help car won't start,ZERO codes!! Video in..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plz help car won't start,ZERO codes!! Video in..

I ran a scanner on it and it shows ZERO codes !!! WTF , if it was an ignition problem, wouldn't it show at least a code?

I ran it a little hard last night but I don't know if that had anything to do with it, it's my car in the signature. All of the sudden it won't start now, not only that but it won't jump start either, so no spark?

Few details maybe you guys can direct me better :

No fuel problem as I can hear the pump kicking on when ignition is turned on. no battery problem. There's enough air going in, but I think it isn't sparking, correct me if you think I'm wrong after listening to the sound in the video.

Now to the Spark : I got MSD opti spark on it, and MSD ignition coil, spark plugs and wires are almost brand new so there's no problem there, but what else could cause it not to start and not even when trying to jump start it ?!

My shop is a half hour away so all my tools are down there, I thought to ask you guys, what's ur opinion?

Here's a short video of how it sounds : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijEi1cLnewk

Comments and suggestions are greately appreciated.

Adam
Old 07-04-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, First you need to do the old school test. Fuel, spark and compression. Just because the pump is running doesn't mean its pumping. Get out your fuel pressure gauge and check that since that is the easiest. Next check to see if you have spark. Since it is an lt1 it is easiest to just pull the coil wire and see if you have spark there or pull one of the wires on the driver side. Next would be the worst thing which means internal engine damage, check for compression.

Ignition will show you no codes except when there is a misfire then it will throw a misfire code.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
9 Second Club

Why are you moving the accelerator pedal? It's fuel injected. Check spark plug to see if it has fuel in it. Jump plug wire to ground to see if it has spark. Distributor could have got wet from antifreeze leak, lt1 correct? Crank sensor? If spark and fuel are there then hold it to the floor till it clears some fuel out. It even works on efi.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by butler
Why are you moving the accelerator pedal? It's fuel injected. Check spark plug to see if it has fuel in it. Jump plug wire to ground to see if it has spark. Distributor could have got wet from antifreeze leak, lt1 correct? Crank sensor? If spark and fuel are there then hold it to the floor till it clears some fuel out. It even works on efi.
You're right, I don't know why I keep moving the acelerator pedal, I guess it's just a rutine.

Anyway, I checked the coil and there's NO spark out of it, not sure if it's the coil itself or if it's the wire or neither.
By the way, I disconnected the maf just to go back in the car and see if it's going to trow a code, and it didn't still showed zero codes !!!!! Then I even diconnected the ignition module harness and still zero codes, does the engine have to start for the computer to restart itself to throw codes?
I even disconnected the battery for a minute and scanned it again, ZERO CODES. Hmmmm, I just bought this scanner this afternoon so it's brand new.

Anyway, if there's no spark from coil, could it be it or could I not be doing the test right (Took the other end of the wire from the opti and and touched it on metal...no spark.

Thank you guys for all the advices.

Adam
Old 07-04-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

HMMMM, GOOD NEWS BUT I STILL SUSPECT SOMETHING.....

After scanning for codes, I checked the schrader valve for fuel, and sure enough there was fuel.
Next, checked for spark and here's what happened :

I pulled a spark plug with the wire on the driver side and asked the wife to crank it, it STARTED. But here's the thing :

I DID NOT try to start it after checking and having some fuel shot out of the schrader valve, so I don't know if that did something to make it start. However, it started while the spark plug was out and after doing these two checks together.

After that I cranked it few times and it started 3-4 times no problem , with the plug off and then with the plug and wire back on. (Right now I'm writing you guys but will go back to see if it starts again).

What "was" the problem and how come it started now after doing these two things? Trying to find if problem solved !!!

Thanks guys.

Adam
Old 07-04-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

could have been a bad connection on the coil and when you took it off to check it magically fixed itself? lol who knows. I hate intermittent problems... so hard to find and fix
Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

More details :

Now it starts once out of ten times that I tried, and when it starts the first time, the 2-3 times you try after that time it starts in all of them, but then again it goes back to not starting and no spark. ******* opti isn't it ?

The last it started I kept it running for two minutes, as soon as I got in the car to drive it to my shop it started shutting of till it died, ******* opti or not?
Old 07-04-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
could have been a bad connection on the coil and when you took it off to check it magically fixed itself? lol who knows. I hate intermittent problems... so hard to find and fix
Yeah that sucks man, it a beautiful day here in PA, wanted to drive around a little and eat some Mustangs for dinner, and that's what I got .
I doubt the problem being that easy, I think it's the opti, wish it's only the coil wire or the coild itself, I do not want to dig in the for the freaking opti, not again .
Old 07-04-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same engine w/ the spun bearing you were asking about earlier this week?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crainholio
Same engine w/ the spun bearing you were asking about earlier this week?
Nah, this is a complete different car. The other engine is on a project that I recently got, this is my weekend car and I never had an issue like this with it.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the same on LT1s as it is on LS1s, but I had that EXACT same problem and it turned out to be a bad ignition relay. Next time it doesn't start, swap your fan relay with your ignition relay and see if it will start up.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I'm not sure if it's the same on LT1s as it is on LS1s, but I had that EXACT same problem and it turned out to be a bad ignition relay. Next time it doesn't start, swap your fan relay with your ignition relay and see if it will start up.
Good thing to ad to the list before I dig in for the opti. I'll do that later on today as well. Thanks for the comment.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok guys, here's what happened :

1- Replaced Computer. NO START.
2- Replaced Coil wire. NO START.
3- Replaced Ignition Module. NO START.
4- Replaced ignition Coil. NO START.
5- Checked the two ignition sensors in relay box. NO START.

By the way, is there anything called IGNITION RELAY ? I only found two sensors that have something to do with ignition.

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GOING ON GUYS, OPTI OR NOT OPTI?

Adam
Old 07-05-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

one thing you could try to see if its a fuel or spark problem is take some starter fluid and turn it over and spay it into the throttle body, if it will run on the starter fluid its a fuel problem if it wont its a spark problem or something else non fuel problem. hope this helps man.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by styoung
one thing you could try to see if its a fuel or spark problem is take some starter fluid and turn it over and spay it into the throttle body, if it will run on the starter fluid its a fuel problem if it wont its a spark problem or something else non fuel problem. hope this helps man.
Thanks, I will do that as well, every advice is appreciated, I literally want to try everything you guys suggest before I dig in for the opti.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by powerhousecamaro
Thanks, I will do that as well, every advice is appreciated,
You might get better results in the LT1 section here.

You're posting in the Gen-3 Internal Engine section, for a problem that is neither on a Gen-3 nor internal to the engine.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crainholio
You might get better results in the LT1 section here.

You're posting in the Gen-3 Internal Engine section, for a problem that is neither on a Gen-3 nor internal to the engine.
Thanks.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A coworker of mine put the MSD opti on his car back when it first came out. That POS worked for about 2 weeks and crapped out - car was garage kept and only driven in perfect weather. He returned it to Summit, who claimed this was not the first problem with the MSD unit, and got an Accel instead. No problems with that.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
A coworker of mine put the MSD opti on his car back when it first came out. That POS worked for about 2 weeks and crapped out - car was garage kept and only driven in perfect weather. He returned it to Summit, who claimed this was not the first problem with the MSD unit, and got an Accel instead. No problems with that.
I'll be smarter after replacing it and see if that's what it is, everything leads to bad opti. I have heard bad things about them but it was AFTER paying the damn 500 bucks for it, this car is like your friends, I put a total of 821 miles so far this year on it, before I drive it I check the weather channel, anything above 20% chance of rain and she stays in, so the opti getting wet is not even a possibility to have it get bad, it's just what you said (If that's what it is) a POS , AAA is on the way with a flat bid to tow me, I never ever had her towed , I will be there to make sure that whatever he does, he doesn't damage anything , our F bodies are low and I never had it towed. They said he'll be here in 45 minutes ..

Adam
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a similar issue with the Dads LT1 Trans am. Replaced the stuff that you did.
We also replaced the Fuel pump relay under the dash in a bundle of wires. COme to find out the connector that is under the car under the rear passenger seat drivers side that feeds the fuel pump was croaded. took apart the connector cleaned it and re-tightened the connector pins, problem solved.
This was also after replacing the opti, it had gotten water in it and trashed it. So we had 2 issues bad opti and bad pump connection.