Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse trouble with T5

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse trouble with T5

Okay my tranny works fine first through fifth, but when I try to go in reverse my clutch keeps spinning and it grinds and i have to use the gears to brake it. I've tried double pumping and putting it in fifth, sometimes works by putting it in fifth. Once in a while all my gears are a little tough to get in gear and it becomes impossible to get it in reverse at all. I got it up on jacks and it looks like my rear main is leaking so could it be **** on my clutch or a dead clutch brake if T5's even have those?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rev linkage on the T5 is on a side rail with a pivot bar that rides in the shift selector. Was any work done under the car recently, where someone could have loosened the pivot nut on the outside of the case? (often mistaken for a fill plug)

Regardless, the symptoms point to an internal problem with the trans.. Plan for a removal and open it up or take it to a shop.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:28 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

if you need a reverse idler gear, I have one you can have cheap that collects dust.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned

The trouble getting it into all gears is without a doubt the clutch hydraulics. T5's are normally a little tough to get into reverse. A simple shift into 5th or 1st usually helps line things up. Sometimes its a pain in the butt but its just part of having a T5. What ever you do, don't force the unit into gears if the hydraulics are not working properly. You will only further damage the unit.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Teching In

well I bottomed the car out recently and screwed up my cat but i can't see it hitting the tranny. I guess when I do the main seal ill take it out and have a look

Quick Reply: Reverse trouble with T5