Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

3mph and car shuts off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3mph and car shuts off?

well had a vette come in the other day for clutch. the car was sitting for while and did not run when came to shop.
installed teh new clutch and went to drive the car. first thing i noticed is steering column lock service came up. now the car starts up perfect and revs if sitting still. as soon as go into gear and let the clutch out it stalls.

this is a 2001 convt vette. as of right now it is completely stock. this has me a stumped a little bit. the customer said he had teh steering clolumn lock serviced at dealer last summer. but car has been sitting for 8 months due to clutch.

things tried so far.
-reset teh BCM
-replaced battery with known good one
-tried disconnecting the speedo to see if could be driven
-pulled fuse 23 and 25 as some people have stated to reset everything

thanks in advance
Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had one that did the same thing. If I remember correctly we went in to the tune and adjust the speed for when the cars sees the steering lock code crop up, basically setting the mph so high it would never effect it. We did this so the customer could drive the car back to Chicago so he could get the steering lock problem corrected. From what I have seen, it can be a grounding problem in the wiring harness as these cars get older. It may be at the ground inside the pasenger side kick panel, even though the dealer has addressed the steering column lock recall. Bob
Old 07-05-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have any theft or body codes?

Try doing a passlock relearn. If you have TIS2000 you can do this in 12 minutes. IF not, anyone can do it from home by doing a thirty minute relearn. key on, engine off, for ten minutes or until theft light goes out,...continue 2 more times(3 total hence 30minute relearn,....is actually more like 33-35minutes total).

But first things first,any codes in any module that matters?
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

the only code that i get is the service steering column lock. did leave key on for a while. but didn't do that three times. will try that now.
thanks keep the info coming
Old 07-05-2009, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club

now getting a low voltage code. charging battery up. did the key relearn 3 times but did not try to start it. gonna charge battery up
Old 07-05-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bgblockelcamino
now getting a low voltage code. charging battery up. did the key relearn 3 times but did not try to start it. gonna charge battery up

You may have to start over. Anyway you can have a jumper on the car while your doing this? I should havementioned that. My bad.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

A friend just had the same happen for a second time. They never put in the by-pass but let the dealer fix it because of extended warranty. The computer will let you rev the car but if you try to drivre away, it is thinking THEFT !

Pitt
Old 07-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Teching In

http://www.corvettesofhouston.com/pr...products_id=54

put one of these on and be done with it...

it also helps to change the mph when doing the tune also....
Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tommie
http://www.corvettesofhouston.com/pr...products_id=54

put one of these on and be done with it...

it also helps to change the mph when doing the tune also....
I recently installed one of those and started to get the same problem as the original poster. But it did fix my column from locking :x
Old 07-06-2009, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

weve had a few come into the shop, where gm installed the cl relay to bypass it and thier relay has gone bad drop the knee bolster and see if ones under there best bet its no good
Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob@EFIAlchemy
weve had a few come into the shop, where gm installed the cl relay to bypass it and thier relay has gone bad drop the knee bolster and see if ones under there best bet its no good
What he said ! Have had two in the last 30 days,dealer said it wasnt a CLB problem til we flatbedded it down to them to verify the issue.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

damn didn't know this was that common of a problem.
looks like ordering the kit today. may order extra for the other customers too if this is bound to happen regardless
Old 07-06-2009, 02:11 PM
9 Second Club

tried the key relearn on a fully charged battery and same results

not for what i am understanding if the dealer did the steering column service the box from corvette of houston will not work. correct if i am wrong?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club

pulled the knee bolster. i do not see a relay under it. now with being 01 do they reprogram with ecu?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Teching In

tried the key relearn on a fully charged battery and same results

not for what i am understanding if the dealer did the steering column service the box from corvette of houston will not work. correct if i am wrong?
yes, you have to remove the dealer one 1st, from what I remember... there are a ton of posts on the other website, pM me if you need more info..
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 PM
9 Second Club

looked under dash and and near BCM do not see a relay that was added. although was able to turn steering wheel without the key in car. so i am assuming that recall has been done.
on later model thought it was a pcm reflash? if so how is it reversed so that i can use the box?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

looked under dash and and near BCM do not see a relay that was added. although was able to turn steering wheel without the key in car. so i am assuming that recall has been done.
on later model thought it was a pcm reflash? if so how is it reversed so that i can use the box?
IIRC the relay is below and inside the column,under the plastic covers.should be fairly obvious once you remove the knee bolster and lower cover.The relays die,rendering the car immobile(well,it will start but wont drive) Reflash will have been done,seperate issue here,may even be a tsb on the install for this.PM me tommorow if you are still having problems and I will fax or email you details.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

I went through that whole mess with the dealership. Happened to me the columns cervo for the locking pin usually go's out where it doesnt have the clearance to unlock the 3 plates. GM service may not pay for bob howard here in edmond, Ok sure as hell didnt want to. I tried the get them to do the by pass instead but they said there was no such thing i told em. Problem i find with most dealers is that they think im the run of the mill vettes owners round here. lol
Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. Best thing to do is this:

1) Buy a new battery
2) Use hptuners and change the stering lock cutoff (2mph) to 255mph.) This way even if the code ever pops up, the car never turns off.

I never went thru the dealer, but I did buy the bypass from Thunder Racing. Seems to work just fine.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

I've had the column lock bypass in my car for several years now. It's the smart thing to do if you ask me.

Quick Reply: 3mph and car shuts off?