Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issue

I was out 4 hweeling this weekend and ran into a problem I didn't think i would have. I have an lq4 that is stock with headers and a tune thats it. I have a 31x19 aluminum two pass radiator and a 2950 cfm fan. When I am crusing down the dirt at about 25 miles an hour I don't have any problem it sits at 180. I was climbing a long hill thats pretty steep. By long I mean a few miles. I was in first gear at about 2000 rpms and it started cloimbing slowly until I shut it down at 230. I was on a flat trail later that was really rough and was in first gear again and going pretty slow and it almost overheated again. What should I do? The only thing I can think to do is get a fan shroud for it. Would this work?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the fan a two speed fan ? what are your fans temp set to activate the fans (low/high)?.. can you manually switch it to the high speed ? What was the air temp?

Does the Radiator has a air being directed into the path of the radiator ? How long have you had this setup?.. are you sure that your are not creating a air pocket in the engine cooling system ?

A shround should help the fans pull air directly through the radiator if built correctly.

How about some pictures of what your set up looks like !?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

hopefully there is no air trapped in the system. how long have you been running this setup?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I have been running this setup for about two weeks but I never had it on the trail just getting all the bugs worked out. When I was out on the highway or in town I never had any issues at all, except it would only get up to about 140 degrees. I figures this was the thermostat so I wasn't to concerned yet. If I let it idle it will get up to about 190 and stay right about there. This weekend I went out 4 wheeling in Silverton Colorado and there are some windy trails that are miles long up hill the whole way, believe it or not. This is what caused it to overheat. I have a 16" perma cool fan that is one speed and it is supposed to pull 2950 cfm. I had it in the center of Radiator. I have my steam line tied into my water pump so I would have thought that would alleviate any air in the cooling system. The outside air temp was 80 or so degrees.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm interesting one.. I would say that a shroud is called for at this point.. This is a reversible unit. .are you sure the you are pulling air through the radiator and not pushing it back !? just something to check..

If the rest of the cooling system is functioning correctly.. How about the position of your radiator and the filler neck or the highest point of the cooling system ? Check the Raditor cap and any leaks in the system (use the pressure pump) ? I would hope it is not a head gasket. .but check the oil and water in the system.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have your heater outlets connected together? Or blocked?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

the heater hoses are connected as they should be. I just changed the oil an Friday and it was fine no water or anything. I am guesssing it would have to be the lack of a shroud which I ordered so we will see.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a shroud.

I'd suggest either building a shroud for your single fan; or

install a set of dual fans with a shroud, either from a full size truck, f-body ls1 camaro or late C6 Vette.

The single, unshrouded fan is only pulling air through the area of the fan. Not enough airflow.

When it's moving, air moves through the entire surface of the radiator.

(The permacool fan that I'm familiar with, doesn't have enough blade "pitch" to pull enough air for a 300+ hp motor)
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default yep..

Originally Posted by philntx
You need a shroud.

I'd suggest either building a shroud for your single fan; or

install a set of dual fans with a shroud, either from a full size truck, f-body ls1 camaro or late C6 Vette.

The single, unshrouded fan is only pulling air through the area of the fan. Not enough airflow.

When it's moving, air moves through the entire surface of the radiator.

(The permacool fan that I'm familiar with, doesn't have enough blade "pitch" to pull enough air for a 300+ hp motor)
I agree. Shroud and/or a dual fan set up.
I looked at the website, and see a couple of ??? statements.
1. Only a 9.8 amp draw to move that much air??
2. Airflow is an "estimate". W/o a shroud, it will be considerably less. It may "move" that much air, but w/o the shroud, it'll not have that much flow thru the rad core..
W/ a shroud, I'd think the amp draw will go up..
BTW, are you sure that the fan is getting full voltage?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

I've been round and round with this myself on my 5.3L Jeep swap. First was an expensive 16" SPAL fan. Didn't cut on the long climbs or romping on it as you report. Then added a shroud. Helped a little but still the temps climbed in hot ambient temps. Then I finally swapped to a junkyard Lincoln MARK VIII 2 speed 18" fan. THAT solved everything. Best $50 I ever spent. It does draw some serious current on HS mode though. I can run in low speed mode 95% of the time. In high speed it sounds like a tornado and temps are more than well controlled.

Quick Reply: Overheating issue