Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e issues - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e issues - need help!

I'm at a loss as to what broke or whats happing and before I take it to a place like Aamco to get raped I'd like to see if maybe someone else has had the same issues if they could tell me whats the issue and if I canfix it myself.

1. Basically the first thing I'm noticing is that when it's cold (first drive of the morning after sitting all night) it shifts just fine from 1 - 2 but the 2 - 3 shift is WAY delayed. Some times she'll get to 4K before even wanting to make the shift. After a couple of miles or just warming up for 15 minutes it'll be fine. But after it sits for a few hours it starts doing it again.

2. The other issue I'm finding is that if I punch it too hard from a dead stop (breaking the tires loose) she seems to miss the 1-2 shift altogether and red-lines. If I get off the gas and let the RPMs come back down it'll shift but any hard hit and it's like it forgets it has a second gear and goes right into neutral...

I've looked at a couple of FAQ about this POS transmission and from the bit I've found I've decided to replace the shift solinoid A and B and I've checked the 1-2 shift actuator piston for damage (and I checked the 3-4 for the hell of it). They are in fine order. Fuilds have been flushed and changed. Filter is new. I don't know what else it could be.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got somewhat the same problem. I just posted above yours with the 2000 denali 4l60e. I read somewhere that the Throttle positioning sensor could have something to do with it, but it doesn't really make sense to me.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to guess that you have solenoids or valves that are sticking when its cold. However when the trans is hot and does not want to make the 1-2 shift I would suspect a band is starting to fail. Either way it seems that you are going to need an overhaul in the near future. I would suggest looking at what we have to offer when the time comes. Vince