View Full Version : Is Pearland getting ghetto?

LS1vazquez
07-06-2009, 12:39 AM
They have a lot of money apparently pouring into that place, the Town Center on 518 and 288 just exploded overnight and the traffic is insane. I've heard that crime is getting a little out of control and people are getting jacked in the parking lots in broad daylight.

I stay out the hell out of there. Despite living 3 minutes away I take the scenic route and head for Sugarland because I prefer not to get jacked or shot, either by the thugs or the cops.

So what's the story? Are the rumors true or is it just peaches and cream over there?

ThunderZ28
07-06-2009, 01:06 AM
I hear sugar land is just as bad..

Ls1ChevyII1963
07-06-2009, 04:47 AM
Its not just Pearland every city has its low lifes.

c6r
07-06-2009, 05:15 AM
I live in Pearland and ain't nobody messing with me" but then again "I NEVER LET THEM CATCH ME SLIPPING!!!! LoL:D. More concerned with the cops giving me a speeding ticket than getting jacked as they say in the hood".

MY06TBSS
07-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Pearland has not changed on the east side but the west side is ridiculous.....

Randy_S
07-06-2009, 07:20 AM
I work in Silverlake so I see what is going on. Yea, the ghetto has moved in. The thugs come south from Cullen/ Beltway 8. It isn't that bad though, my wife and I still shop at Target over there, I just lower my pants and show off my boxers to fit in.

I do keep heat in my vehicle now though when I am in that area.

Cam72aro
07-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Walmart is ghetto, but right across the street to Randalls or Target and it goes away. Amazing how just a little bit more expensive stuff drives away a certain type or crowd. There is crime just like anywhere else, but its not that bad.

strokerblackhawk
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I work in Silverlake so I see what is going on. Yea, the ghetto has moved in. The thugs come south from Cullen/ Beltway 8. It isn't that bad though, my wife and I still shop at Target over there, I just lower my pants and show off my boxers to fit in.

I do keep heat in my vehicle now though when I am in that area.

+1 i keep my heater in whichever vehicle im in. Cause if they see my red dot there about to get shot. im sick off all this bs thats been going on lately with poeple getting robbed or jacked especially having a 1 1/2 year old,ive even been talking to the wife about getting her CHL, she shoots better than most men.lolol. Everyone needs to participate in regulating the gene pool by eliminating the trash, and stop being victims.

chupr0kabra
07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
My wife and I have lived in Pearland since late 2001, first living in the apartments behind O'Day's Hardware, then to a house in Silverlake (off of Old Chocolate Bayou), and now in Shadow Creek Ranch. To say it has changed is an understatement. When we first moved down here, coming from 288 there was one traffic light, then a yellow flashing light at O'Day's. Now there are 8,470,981,724,098,203,812,049 lights between 288 and 45, so we avoid 518 at all costs.

The local shopping explosion is great, because it is very convenient, but it has definitely attracted some thugs. But, the new home construction has actually been the main cause. As new homes are built, people who can afford to move into them do so. That leaves the smaller "starter" homes available, and since they aren't that expensive, people with lower incomes move in. I'm not saying everyone with low income is a thug, but thugs tend to have low income. Otherwise, they might actually be able to afford the stuff they steal.

The thing is, most of the time, thieves don't live in the area where they steal from. More often, it's someone who knows someone in the area. For example, some dude has a party at his house, some thug friends come over and see all these nice houses, and decide to come back later. With all the construction in Shadow Creek Ranch, there is a lot of traffic with the day laborers, and I'm willing to bet more than a few of them are responsible (directly or indirectly) for the rise in crime. We had a couple neighbors get knocks on their doors late at night, so they called the police. The police said there has been an increase in break-ins lately in Shadow Creek Ranch, which isn't surprising at all. There are some nice homes in the area, and that attracts the worthless thieves who think it's better to steal from someone than to actually earn a living.

Overall, I'd say crime is worse in Pearland than it used to be, but it's not bad. You just have to be aware of what's going on, lock your doors, etc. That's anywhere in Houston.

-Mike

WildBills Toyota
07-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Suger land is no where near like Pearland. Pearland is way more ghetto. Everywhere has there crap people but Pearland is going down. The Pearland towncenter is already ghetto as hell. If you compare the towncenter there and the one in sugarland you will see a huge difference. They didnt put nearly the time and quality in the pearland one.

ORedRoc4
07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Drive through Pasadena for a minute then head back, it wont seem that bad at all. I promise lol :)

-jusitn

1FAST02FORMULAHAWK
07-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Ive lived in southdown since 2005, and i have seen a repid decline in the demographic of ppl that live here now. The crime has gone up, the loitering and street gatherings of large groups of young thugs are out of control, its like juneteenth all the time. I will say this though, the police force here on this side of town is thick. I dont ever see them doing anything ( aside from pulling me over in my own efhing driveway), but theyre here. The ghetto from the north side of the beltway is deff. moving south at a rapid rate. Im lookin to move to he north side ofhouston shortly.

-Ross-
07-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Suger land is no where near like Pearland. Pearland is way more ghetto. Everywhere has there crap people but Pearland is going down. The Pearland towncenter is already ghetto as hell. If you compare the towncenter there and the one in sugarland you will see a huge difference. They didnt put nearly the time and quality in the pearland one.

There are a shitload of thugs running around Sugarland (spilling over from Missouri City, etc).

If you compare the towncenter there and the one in sugarland you will see a huge difference. They didnt put nearly the time and quality in the pearland one.

I've been to both and really can't see what the hell you are talking about. They seem about equal to me.

Slash8915
07-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I work in Pearland, and the area I work in, (right off of Dixie Farm and Broadway) seems to be fine. All the people and businesses I deal with daily seem to be nice. I actually see a WS6 parked at a nice house on my way to work every day coming down Dixie Farm to Broadway.

But I've driven out to Silverlake on business calls, and while alot of the houses I have entered have been AMAZING, the inhabitants weren't quite as great. More than once I figured the owner of the house must have gotten the money through drug sales.

chupr0kabra
07-06-2009, 12:22 PM
But I've driven out to Silverlake on business calls, and while alot of the houses I have entered have been AMAZING, the inhabitants weren't quite as great. More than once I figured the owner of the house must have gotten the money through drug sales.

Or they got an adjustable rate mortgage and will soon default on the house.

Either way, not good.

-Mike

WildBills Toyota
07-06-2009, 12:44 PM
I work in Pearland, and the area I work in, (right off of Dixie Farm and Broadway) seems to be fine. All the people and businesses I deal with daily seem to be nice. I actually see a WS6 parked at a nice house on my way to work every day coming down Dixie Farm to Broadway.

silverlake is actually a pretty big drug area

MissTransAm
07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I moved to Pearland this Februrary. At first I was really impressed with the place and assumed this was one of the nicer parts of town. I must say, though, that I've even noticed in the few months that i've been there, that things seem to be going down hill. I agree with earlier comments about how the nice new housing is allowing lower income inhabitants to scoop up older housing. Every other car I see on 518 (I reside in a nice apartment complex near 518 and 288 so i'm usually near that side of the highway) is a 'donk' or something that has been horribly modified with big rims, rattling trunks, and the usual thug stuff. It baffles me because town square and all the housing around, even the apartments, are all so nice and are obviously priced for higher income residents. Then again, you can give anybody money; it doesn't necessarily mean that they have to spend the money with class. I know people that make plenty of money that still wear their jeans saggy and put spinners or what not on their car. Like they say, "You can take the trash out of the trailor, but you can't take the 'trailor' out of the trash". I see this issue as a mix of people who have money and don't know a classy way to spend it, as well as the aforementioned issue of lower income residents visiting the area from further north and possibly moving into the older houses in the area. Not on y that, but government funding seems to have risen for new homeowners...I know my parents bought their nice house in a subdivision for somewhere in the mid 300's..and only two years later the houses are going for half the amount and all the new residents are getting government help and cheap rates for the same houses. I mean it's great that the government helps with funding..it just sucks that those who worked hard have to pay twice as much for the same house. :(

/soapbox.

FIREHAWK #07
07-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Drive through Pasadena for a minute then head back, it wont seem that bad at all. I promise lol :)

-jusitn

+1.... PEarland is nice compared to Pasa-get-down-dena!

ex-SS-ve
07-06-2009, 03:08 PM

-jusitn i avoid that area as much as i can. but i have to drive thru there to pick up my cars when i feel like driving them.:bang:

Cam72aro
07-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I have lived in Shadow Creek For 2.5 years. I have many guns. I am not afraid to kill someone for invading my home. If someone breaks into my house while I am not here, thats what insurance is for. Spring has gone downhill. My parents live there and I grew up there. There have been many break ins in their neighborhood. Their shed got broken into last week, along with many other neighbors. Sugarland is nice, and so is Pearland. Missouri city and some other areas are not so nice. River Oaks is nice, right around the corner, not so nice.

LS1vazquez
07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
What do the cops do in Pearland? Do they actually police or do they just camp out on 521 and the 288/Beltway interchange and stop people for expired tags and tint?

BizZzatch350
07-06-2009, 03:56 PM
I remember going to Pearland back in the mid 90s with my parents, there really wasn't much out there. Late 90s people started to catch on that 288 was kind of the better/back way in to down town/med center and the schools weren't bad. It didn't help that they had bill boards for Silver Lake with the Astrodome on it all over town and advertising how short of a commute it was to down town/med center. It's kind of crazy to have watched it grow from 1995 till now.

AGRV8D
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Pasadena/south Houston area's are just little Mexico now.... the ghetto is off of I10 and Waco... See Fifth Ward... or over here in Greenspoint where i work.

ImpSS07
07-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Ok, from someone who has lived in Pearland from birth till about 21(im 24 now) Pearland is not ghetto by any means. You want ghetto go to one of the wards in Houston. The problem is is that all these rich kids out here whether they be black, white, hispanic, asian want to mimic one of their relatives that lives the actual ghetto. Most of these "thugs" wouldn't know what to do if a real thug came up on them.

01z
07-06-2009, 04:24 PM
what is "ghetto" differs alot from person to person. some people think a trailor house is a castle.......its pretty subjective

ImpSS07
07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
ghet⋅to  /ˈgɛtoʊ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [get-oh] Show IPA
Use ghetto in a Sentence
–noun, plural -tos, -toes.
1. a section of a city, esp. a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships.
2. (formerly, in most European countries) a section of a city in which all Jews were required to live.
3. a section predominantly inhabited by Jews.
4. any mode of living, working, etc., that results from stereotyping or biased treatment: job ghettos for women; ghettos for the elderly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1605–15; < It, orig. the name of an island near Venice where Jews were forced to reside in the 16th century < Venetian, lit., foundry for artillery (giving the island its name), n. deriv. of ghettare to throw < VL *jectāre; see jet 1

Mr Powell
07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Pearland is straight THUGGING it now! You know why?! Cause I'm up in that bitch now! I left Friendswood to infiltrate Pearland and bring down home values everywhere ;)

On a serious note Pearland has changed a lot considering I've lived in Pearland since I was 2.5 years old until I was 16 (2000), when we moved to Friendswood. I have watched a completly failed community turn into the biggest part of town and watched one of the nicest neighborhoods fall down to the ghetto. It's very sad.

Randy_S
07-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Walmart is ghetto, but right across the street to Randalls or Target and it goes away. Amazing how just a little bit more expensive stuff drives away a certain type or crowd. There is crime just like anywhere else, but its not that bad.

You are definitely right about that! We refuse to go to that Walmart, we go into Alvin instead. haha

Doomsday
07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Just my experience there from dining sucked. I already knew that the Texas Roadhouse that just got built was going to suck. Service and food was off compared to all others I been to. I may go shopping there when I visit family, but never eat at a restraunt there, its guaranteed to suck. And yes, that walmart is ghetto. The one here off Fairmont, I haven't shopped at because its ghetto. I just go to HEB and Target to get what I need.

My point is, its one thing to be poor. At least wash your ass and be respectful of others. I will go out of my way to stay away from trash.

306 That Could
07-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Ive lived on the east side of pearland since I was 10 (26 now). Definatly changed alot and I try to avoid the cluster fu(k towards silverlake whenever possible. But me and Powell are holdin it down on the east side!!

ElkySS
07-06-2009, 06:53 PM
i woundnt say ghetto but areas around cullen are getting kinda redneck. you know people parking an insane amount of immobile cars on their lawns. the kind that have more than one regal :)

c6r
07-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Ok, from someone who has lived in Pearland from birth till about 21(im 24 now) Pearland is not ghetto by any means. You want ghetto go to one of the wards in Houston. The problem is is that all these rich kids out here whether they be black, white, hispanic, asian want to mimic one of their relatives that lives the actual ghetto. Most of these "thugs" wouldn't know what to do if a real thug came up on them.

I tend to agree with your thinking on the subject, it's the style now to look like ( pure shit ) for the younger folks now with sagging pants, loud ass colors, big white tee shirts and shittie rims on there cars. And I see it across all races. But I bet most of these young guys ain't even close to living in the getto, parents probably have money out the ass:nod:

jlrz28
07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Been in Pearland most of my life(26). I still remember going all the way down 518 to get on 288. I live on the 288 side now, yeah its pretty ghetto. Its just crazy to see what is going to be built on 288. I figure it will be like 290 from 610 out over the years. Sedona lakes going in and then the land is purchased from 101 to hwy 6 for a major project.

ProStreet_632
07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Pearland is straight THUGGING it now! You know why?! Cause I'm up in that bitch now! I left Friendswood to infiltrate Pearland and bring down home values everywhere ;)

On a serious note Pearland has changed a lot considering I've lived in Pearland since I was 2.5 years old until I was 16 (2000), when we moved to Friendswood. I have watched a completly failed community turn into the biggest part of town and watched one of the nicest neighborhoods fall down to the ghetto. It's very sad.

Let me get this straight, you leave the luxury of the west wing in Friendswood, to move to the run down P-Land. If im not mistaken, didn't you just buy ur home in Green Tee? At least ur on the good end of the Land. Anything west of Cullen is a joke now.

redsox_ws6
07-06-2009, 08:10 PM
So are the Woodlands ghetto? or is Sugarland more ghetto, what about Kingwood. I dont venture much into these densely causcassian lands :lol: Country Music and soccer moms jogging on trails tend to be signals of DO NOT ENTER for hispanics, that and Randalls food stores :lol:

MY06TBSS
07-06-2009, 10:10 PM
ive lived on the east side of pearland since i was 10 (26 now). Definatly changed alot and i try to avoid the cluster fu(k towards silverlake whenever possible. But me and powell are holdin it down on the east side!!
hey i'm holdin a peace on the east......

retardedpenguin
07-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Y'all are funny, Pearland is NOT ghetto! I live down in Brookside, yeah there are alot of Mexicans but they are nice people and take care of their homes. Very pretty and nice part of Pearland that is out of the way. Down by Target and all that, yeah there are a bunch of thug black people, but most aren't driving around POS Corolla's and stuff, they are the high class loud fake ass ghetto black people. I am not afraid of them trying to rob me, I could sneeze and they would run away crying.

What area's are you guys talking about specifically that are just down right ghetto people on porches with no a/c, beer cans stacked in shapes of gang signs, shot gun holes in the sides of the house, buick regal parts gauntlet in the yard, pit bulls bangin on the other side of the fence etc.. It is kinda like that down where the flea market is, but it's not to the point where I am afraid for my life.

I use to hang out in the ghetto in my old town since that is where all the kids were. As long as you are a nice person and are fucking with any people and flipping them off you will be fine.

Cam72aro
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Update on Pearland Ghetto. Me and the wifey went to Olive Garden last night and decided to go see the Hangover at the Cinemark at Silverlake. We left about 930 after the movie and headed to Heb to get gas. We were pumping the gas and all the sudden I see this young black girl probably 17-20 running out of Heb with 2 Heb employees chasing her. She had what looked like a purse over her shoulder. Not sure if it was hers, but I am sure she stoled something. They chased her a good ways and she got into a car by the Town center and the cops pulled it over immediately. The the good thing about Pearland is that Cops are no farther than 500 feet from each other and can be at any location in a split second, lol. Just thought I would share this, Josh

-Ross-
07-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Update on Pearland Ghetto. Me and the wifey went to Olive Garden last night and decided to go see the Hangover at the Cinemark at Silverlake. We left about 930 after the movie and headed to Heb to get gas. We were pumping the gas and all the sudden I see this young black girl probably 17-20 running out of Heb with 2 Heb employees chasing her. She had what looked like a purse over her shoulder. Not sure if it was hers, but I am sure she stoled something. They chased her a good ways and she got into a car by the Town center and the cops pulled it over immediately. The the good thing about Pearland is that Cops are no farther than 500 feet from each other and can be at any location in a split second, lol. Just thought I would share this, Josh

You should have tackled that hood rat.:jest:

BADZ
07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Never hear much ghetto stuff going on out here. I'm a bit north of The Woodlands (Between Conroe and The Woodlands) but have plenty of friends that pay very high property taxes / fee's so that might keep some things in line I would suppose...:angel:

So are the Woodlands ghetto?

Cam72aro
07-07-2009, 12:14 PM
You should have tackled that hood rat.:jest:

I saw her, and didnt realize what was going on. Had the employees yelled something out I would have been able to. I was in a good position too. Its been a while since I played football, but its like riding a bike, its something that you never forget.

chupr0kabra
07-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Problem is, if you tackle the hood rat and she skins her knee, she'll try to sue you for pain and suffering.

-Mike

-Ross-
07-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Problem is, if you tackle the hood rat and she skins her knee, she'll try to sue you for pain and suffering.

-Mike

Very true.:bang:

Fun-Formula98
07-07-2009, 03:39 PM

-jusitn

haha! +1

ORedRoc4
07-08-2009, 12:45 PM
haha! +1It's true, i grew up in pasadena and now that im back home and out of the military i steer clear other when i visit family! :)

-Justin

TWS
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
So are the Woodlands ghetto? or is Sugarland more ghetto, what about Kingwood. I dont venture much into these densely causcassian lands :lol: Country Music and soccer moms jogging on trails tend to be signals of DO NOT ENTER for hispanics, that and Randalls food stores :lol:

:funny:

Best post in this thread.

Yeah, you have to watch out for those whitebread soccer moms. They will straight up JACK you in order to get their next Starbucks fix. :lol:

Randy_S
07-08-2009, 07:28 PM
I drove down 518 during lunch today and looked around. I didn't really see any "ghetto" cars, mostly newer middle to upper class cars. Hell, I saw 2 BMW's and a Lexus at the same intersection as I passed. Maybe lunchtime was too early for the thugs to be sober enough to head out.

Cam72aro
07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Its a nice area. Just some isolated problems.

ElkySS
07-08-2009, 07:36 PM
i woundnt say ghetto but areas around cullen are getting kinda redneck. you know people parking an insane amount of immobile cars on their lawns. the kind that have more than one regal :)

i would like to apologize for the above statement. the person it was directed to took it more personally than i was expecting.

Deerhunter-Z28
07-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I've lived in pearland for about 15 years now so I've seen the changes firsthand. The west side or newer side is definitely more ghetto now, alot of the trash comes down from orem, almeda etc. Really all the walmarts besides the one by dixie farm are full of mojo's. We also go to target just avoid the trash. Once you cross the tracks and head toward 288 on 518 it gets darker by the mile and I'm not talking about day and night. I don't really care I'm hispanic and I grew up in the hood so it doesn't bother me...lol. All in all I really like pearland (I live off mclean, older part newer home), I like that you can do all your shopping 10 minutes away and there is a nice little assortment of places to get a cold beer.

Deerhunter-Z28
07-08-2009, 08:11 PM
You are definitely right about that! We refuse to go to that Walmart, we go into Alvin instead. haha

Either deal with illegal wetbacks or white trash...lol

Deerhunter-Z28
07-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Y'all are funny, Pearland is NOT ghetto! I live down in Brookside, yeah there are alot of Mexicans but they are nice people and take care of their homes. Very pretty and nice part of Pearland that is out of the way. Down by Target and all that, yeah there are a bunch of thug black people, but most aren't driving around POS Corolla's and stuff, they are the high class loud fake ass ghetto black people. I am not afraid of them trying to rob me, I could sneeze and they would run away crying.

What area's are you guys talking about specifically that are just down right ghetto people on porches with no a/c, beer cans stacked in shapes of gang signs, shot gun holes in the sides of the house, buick regal parts gauntlet in the yard, pit bulls bangin on the other side of the fence etc.. It is kinda like that down where the flea market is, but it's not to the point where I am afraid for my life.

I use to hang out in the ghetto in my old town since that is where all the kids were. As long as you are a nice person and are fucking with any people and flipping them off you will be fine.

I lol'd at this, whats pretty about brookside? The mobile homes or maybe the yellow and green stucco houses that belong in mexico? Nothing wrong with brookside, but pretty? give me a break son

AGRV8D
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I lol'd at this, whats pretty about brookside? The mobile homes or maybe the yellow and green stucco houses that belong in mexico? Nothing wrong with brookside, but pretty? give me a break son

his handle IS retardedpenguin :eyes:

_Zac
07-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Getting????? It has been ghetto..

Powell lives there now it is officially ghetto..

retardedpenguin
07-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Where I live is nice, I live in the neighborhood where the police station is. Take a drive through there one day, pretty much anything on the right side of brookside road past the police station is nice. Middle class cracka's :P Be careful though, for some reason we have 5 cops patrolling the one square mile we call a town lol

I can get some pics if y'all want. It's only the two trailer parks, the gang of mexicans at the corner store waiting for work and the mexicans on bicycles that give us a bad rap lol. They are nice people though and aren't going to murder you and are not trashy. My area is nicer that the rest of Pearland.

kickassT/A
07-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Ive lived on the east side of pearland since I was 10 (26 now). Definatly changed alot and I try to avoid the cluster fu(k towards silverlake whenever possible. But me and Powell are holdin it down on the east side!!

where are yall at? i bought a house off old alvin about a year ago. no real ghetto around my house, but the walmart off 35 is another story, lol