Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SN95 LS1 T56 Mustang project

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Default My SN95 LS1 T56 Mustang project

I am not sure if I ever made a thread on here about putting an LS1 into a mustang but here it is. Actually I think I will just copy/paste my posts from another thread on a mustang board onto this one, it'll be much easier. It's just kind of a progression over the last almost two years now although I didn't work on it for almost a year due to budget and time constraints of working on my own ****. The just of it though is my dad picked up this mustang for cheap because it never ran right. It was done 10 years ago and sat in a garage with 14k original miles. It had a 393W swapped into it with nitrous but it developed a rod knock a week after and I pulled the motor. Tore it down and the parts were junk and I had a lead on an LS1 drop out motor from a corvette for cheap so the project began. Scored a used T56 for a decent deal as well so it will be a 6 spd car. Yes, the graphics on the car need to go and it does need some cosmetic help but it's a 1994 Mustang GT with only 14k original miles on it and is in great condition.

+

= Pissed off ford loyalists. At least it will be a fun and interesting project.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:19 AM
7 Second Club

Well, some progress about 3-4 hours in, next I need to swap out the k-member to the 4.6 one and modify the motor mounts and drop it in for test fitting.

I have at least installed the new 4.6 mod motor k-member, modified the 4.6 mod motor motor mounts to make them work on an LS1, and dropped it in for test fitting. I also replaced the C5 oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube with the f-body parts to get the clearance that I needed. I need to track down some factory truck manifolds as those have the exhaust coming down most rearward and hopefully will work around the k-member and stuff. Of course now I have to do a coil over setup in the front and get some tubular a-arms because the factory stuff doesn't mount up. Here are just a few updated pics.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:20 AM
7 Second Club

Well this is basically the final resting position of the engine with the tranny in place and the engine mounts completed. It's tilted back a bit because I was cutting the hole for the shifter and didn't want to hit the back of the tranny.

Tranny from below still tilted down, going to hack up the factory crossmember I think to mount it.

I had to cut back around 4 inches on the back of the shifter hole to make room for the new shifter on this T-56. It's definately a larger transmission than the old T5 that was in it.

Still waiting on the front suspension components so I can get this thing on the ground and the drivetrain for the most part will be completed. Then it's on to the wiring, etc.
7 Second Club

Well I guess the front suspension is basically done at this point. Yes I know it's missing a few things. Also, the front sway bar doesn't line up with the holes in the a-arms anymore, is the mod motor sway bar bent different and have different dimensions compared to the 5.0 one? Time to finish up the transmission crossmember and driveshaft modifications. Then plumb some lines, exhaust, and wiring.

7 Second Club

OK so here is an update, I hate mustangs. Not really but I basically didn't work on the car for almost a year because of budget issues and working on my own ****. The last few weeks though I have been back at it and have made some good progress. Essentially all I have left for this thing to drive is to finish up mounting the master cylinder for the clutch. I still have some finishing touches to do on the gauge cluster to fill the gaps, eventually get the HVAC working, and of course remove the ridiculous boss decals but I just want the stupid thing to drive at this point.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM
7 Second Club

Pedal assembly is all done and the master cylinder is in place and working. Had to cut and weld a bit on the bracket to get the right angle and for the support I wanted but it's all good now. Very easy to swap in and out when it goes bad. The ****** actually can move under it's own power at this point. :gangsta:

Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 AM
7 Second Club

Alright, so the ls1 mustang has made it's maiden voyage without any issues. It's open headers right now until I can redo the rest of the exhaust (hopefully this next week) so it's mighty loud. Pretty sure you can hear it from a mile or two away when its WOT. Otherwise I just have cosmetic **** to take care of but it runs and drives nicely. It just spins pretty bad into most of 2nd gear but it's fun that way. The gauge cluster is fully operational including blinkers, brights, backlighting/dimming, gas gauge, etc as I just integrated the f-body gauge cluster into the existing mustang wiring and uses the LS1 PCM for it's other functions. I just need to clean up how it's mounted in there a bit better and it's done.

Heres a little video, I made my Dad hold onto the camera and as soon as I start to get into it sideways the camera pans down since he wasn't paying attention to it anymore. :drinking:

Right click and save as before trying to view.
http://gonicd.com/videos/ls1mustang_firstrun.wmv
Old 07-06-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool build, that looks like a lot of work i hope you enjoy it.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the mustang gauge cluster, or the f-body?

edit: Just watched the video...looks like a f-body cluster. you have any picutres of the f-body cluster in the mustang?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you get the connector for the guage cluster? So what about AC and all that good stuff, did you just remove all that from the harness?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

huh, I think Mr. Eduardo Curtis was telling me about your car when I told him what I wanted to do with the cam I was getting from him a couple of years ago... Nice looking swap. If that plastic master cylinder ever ***** the bed you can get a decent willwood aluminum one from summit/jegs pretty cheap that works awesome.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackTA96
Are you using the mustang gauge cluster, or the f-body?

edit: Just watched the video...looks like a f-body cluster. you have any picutres of the f-body cluster in the mustang?
Yea, f-body gauge cluster and no direct shots yet because I am not done. Right now it's kind of just stuffed in that space after I trimmed everything a bit to make it fit. Now I just need to mount it permanently and clean it up.

Originally Posted by bjamick
Where did you get the connector for the guage cluster? So what about AC and all that good stuff, did you just remove all that from the harness?
It was a custom harness I ordered from Speartech and I just told them to include about a 5 ft extension from the main PCM to the gauge cluster connector. The A/C wires are there, etc but I just haven't hooked up the hvac stuff yet. That was low on my priority list at this point.

Originally Posted by jw33
huh, I think Mr. Eduardo Curtis was telling me about your car when I told him what I wanted to do with the cam I was getting from him a couple of years ago... Nice looking swap. If that plastic master cylinder ever ***** the bed you can get a decent willwood aluminum one from summit/jegs pretty cheap that works awesome.
LOL, yup I had told Ed about it a while ago and finally finished it up. I will send him new pics once it's all said and done. I just used the master cylinder out of my Camaro since I didn't need it anymore when I went auto in it.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

It'd almost be a shame to put mufflers on it. Your neighbors might think differently than I do, however.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:33 AM
8 Second Club

nice to see you tackle this project

now when do the turbos go on ?

any more details on the cluster?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What'd you do for exhaust?
Kooks? dynatech? 351 headers with ls1 flange?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
nice to see you tackle this project

now when do the turbos go on ?

any more details on the cluster?
Trust me, I had a set of truck manifolds flipped forward and everything and then the budget was cut short so back to N/A it went. If it were up to me I would have put a small single on it, something like a 67 so it would spool quick as all hell.

The gauge cluster was just out of a 99+ Camaro and a majority of it's functions just come right from the LS1 PCM. The blinkers and other lights on the gauges I just traced down in the factory wiring, put extra pins in the connector that goes into the gauges and wired them in. It actually was pretty easy, the harder part is making the cluster fit with all the trimming and then making it look decent afterwards.

What'd you do for exhaust?
Kooks? dynatech? 351 headers with ls1 flange?
It has custom longtube headers with custom exhaust. I need to take more pics this week and update my website with something useful. I tried the kooks ls1 swap headers and they hit everything. Probably because I used a road race style heavy duty k-member with all sorts of extra support everywhere. Actually I'll be putting up and selling the kooks swap headers here shortly since they didn't work for me but should work for anybody else who uses an AJE k-member I believe.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shoot me a price on those kooks headers...
Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 AM
7 Second Club

Shoot me a price on those kooks headers...
Probably sell them for $450. They were $750 brand new and hardly have a scratch on them since they wouldn't work for me.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll definetly get um from you. I just gotta sell my TA first.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NicD
Probably because I used a road race style heavy duty k-member with all sorts of extra support everywhere.
Maximum Motorsports?

Quick Reply: My SN95 LS1 T56 Mustang project