Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Kumho Ecsta XS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kumho Ecsta XS

Hey guys, I just had some questions about the Kumho Ecsta XS tires, since I'm considering getting them for my deep dish C5's that are coming this week. First off, how well are they for straight line grip, from a dig, or low roll? I'm used to having Nitto DR's, and they've been pretty awesome at my power level. I want that kind of grip, but I also want a tire that will last a little longer, and I want a 315/30/18, and Nitto doesn't offer that size. I was thinking about the Nittos in a 335/30/18, but that'd probably be a little stretched on a 18x10.5 wheel. The Kumho seems like it'd last quite a bit longer, considering it comes with an extra 2/32 of tread, and also has a higher treadwear rating than the Nittos (180 rather than 100). So, just give me your thoughts on the tires, if you've got them. I'm looking to order them sometime this week, so the quicker the response, the better. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The traction rating are difficult to compare from one brand to another- every company's traction numbers are only comparable to other tires of the same company. However, as a tire salesman, I could tell you that the traction offered by the Kumhos isn't bad, but it is not as good as the Nittos. The tread life, however, is much better- especially for a mid-grade tire.

Last edited by viperhiss0; 07-07-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: I hit submit too early
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Check out the most recent Car and Driver budget performance tire review. They did quite well there.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No experience with the XS tires, but a 335 tire is way too wide for a 10.5" wheel. A 315 is the widest you should run on a 10.5" wheel.

Also, someone might have more knowledge on this. But I've heard from a few tire guys that tread wear isn't always a good way to determine how long the tires will last. I've been told that each tire company can come up with their own tread wear rating and throw it on the tire. Kind of like the contrast ratios on TVs. TV companies can put whatever they want on their TVs based on the data they gathered during their own contrast ratio tests.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, after a little search, I found that treadwear, or any other tire ratings between companies don't really mean much of anything. I mean, look at the new style M/T DR's. They've got a treadwear rating of 200, and a B traction rating. And I'm willing to bet, they're going to hook better than Nittos, and also last about half as long. The M/T's are tempting though, with the prices Summit has on them.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

BFTD!

Anyone run these? Curious about grip as well on a 400+rwhp car
Old 01-13-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running these on my car right now. I like them, they get pretty good grip from a roll, but straight up its not the greatest. It has been cold since I got them though, that might have something to do with it. Definitely a great bang for your buck. I got 2 from my buddy at a dealership for $190
Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I had read that they are not that great when its cold out so if you dont mind post up about em after it gets warm. Also whats the temps there now?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha just saw your location. Yeah it's not as cold here as you're used to, but it's been dipping into the 30's and 20's the last month or so. That's pretty cold for being this far south in Texas.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's an autocross tire, and as such, it's not a drag radial. it may have a soft rubber compound (I wouldn't put it past them to inflate the treadwear number just to be classed by the SCCA as a "street tire"), but the sidewall is meant for cornering.

And yeah, they won't grip a damn thing when it's cold. it's a summer tire.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimo
It's an autocross tire, and as such, it's not a drag radial. it may have a soft rubber compound (I wouldn't put it past them to inflate the treadwear number just to be classed by the SCCA as a "street tire"), but the sidewall is meant for cornering.

And yeah, they won't grip a damn thing when it's cold. it's a summer tire.
Well down here in South Texas, there is about 1 or two months that are cold...ish. The rest of the time its hot as hell.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Teching In

^^^^^
True that, I have been running these for a while and the grip is superb! Have not had one complaint about them, Grip great of the line from 2k dumps and no problems with low rolls. definitely a cheap alternative to nittos
Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tbennett13
^^^^^
True that, I have been running these for a while and the grip is superb! Have not had one complaint about them, Grip great of the line from 2k dumps and no problems with low rolls. definitely a cheap alternative to nittos
Exactly what i was thinking. I used to run YOK A520's which were a "street" version of a track ( autocross ) tire but man did they ever HOOK HARD from a dig too but they are long discontinued and they were noisy as hell also. Ever since those tires I've been searching for the ideal replacement and so far these Ecsta XS seem to be lining up to be just that. They dont have to hook as hard as the MT et streets i can dead hook those things at the track on a 7K clutch dump. My car cuts consistent 1.6x 60's on them.

All i want is a tire that bites hard enough to make 1rst gear usable on the street, that corners well, manages the rain with "some" drive ability, and wont wear out in two weeks. I dont mind a set per season thats cool I'm fine with that. Keep in mind up here when i say a season i mean May-Oct

Thinking Im going to try them. Anyone else have first hand experience?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam
Exactly what i was thinking. I used to run YOK A520's which were a "street" version of a track ( autocross ) tire but man did they ever HOOK HARD from a dig too but they are long discontinued and they were noisy as hell also. Ever since those tires I've been searching for the ideal replacement and so far these Ecsta XS seem to be lining up to be just that. They dont have to hook as hard as the MT et streets i can dead hook those things at the track on a 7K clutch dump. My car cuts consistent 1.6x 60's on them.

All i want is a tire that bites hard enough to make 1rst gear usable on the street, that corners well, manages the rain with "some" drive ability, and wont wear out in two weeks. I dont mind a set per season thats cool I'm fine with that. Keep in mind up here when i say a season i mean May-Oct

Thinking Im going to try them. Anyone else have first hand experience?
This tire is probably going to be your best bet. The is a bit of road noise, but they handle great. It's been raining for two days straight and they've been fine.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

i would NOT get kuhmos, just my opinion in every day workplace

Quick Reply: Kumho Ecsta XS