General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help with my a/c...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default need help with my a/c...

alright guys, i'm pretty much new to this forum, so i was hoping to get some helpful insights from everyone...

i own a 2002 Camaro SS, and just yesterday my a/c compressor starting making noises...it still cools inside the cab area, but the humming of the compressor gets to me, plus the clutch stopped engaging, so it just stays running... when i checked it out, i notice that the dryer and the hose leading to the orfice tube was covered by a thick film of ice....i know a lil bit of frost is natural...any helpful advise will be greatfully appreciated...
Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ramirop
alright guys, i'm pretty much new to this forum, so i was hoping to get some helpful insights from everyone...

i own a 2002 Camaro SS, and just yesterday my a/c compressor starting making noises...it still cools inside the cab area, but the humming of the compressor gets to me, plus the clutch stopped engaging, so it just stays running... when i checked it out, i notice that the dryer and the hose leading to the orfice tube was covered by a thick film of ice....i know a lil bit of frost is natural...any helpful advise will be greatfully appreciated...
Do you mean the clutch will not "dis-engage", and just stays "engaged"? So the compressor is always running?

I think someone here said they had a blockage when there was ice forming on the dryer.
I think ice forming on the dryer is normal if its real humid out.

Is the air coming out of the vents just as cold as its always been?

Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heavy ice build-up usually means you have a clog in your system, more than likely its your orifice tube, id get that checked out.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
Do you mean the clutch will not "dis-engage", and just stays "engaged"? So the compressor is always running?

I think someone here said they had a blockage when there was ice forming on the dryer.
I think ice forming on the dryer is normal if its real humid out.

Is the air coming out of the vents just as cold as its always been?

yea bro, it stays engaged...i've always had frost form, but not a layer of ice...the air inside the cab is just as cold as before...

now the noise coming from my compressor, should i just replace the clutch or just buy a whole new compressor...
Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
heavy ice build-up usually means you have a clog in your system, more than likely its your orifice tube, id get that checked out.
thanks bro...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ramirop
yea bro, it stays engaged...i've always had frost form, but not a layer of ice...the air inside the cab is just as cold as before...

now the noise coming from my compressor, should i just replace the clutch or just buy a whole new compressor...
If its just the clutch, just change that.

But I wonder why its making noise just because the clutch is engaged. It should just keep running.

Does the noise start as soon as you start the engine? Or does it take awhile to start making noise.
I don't think I've ever noticed my compressor turn off. I thought it always runs while its in the "on" position.

Last edited by LS6427; 07-07-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
If its just the clutch, just change that.

But I wonder why its making noise just because the clutch is engaged. It should just keep running.

Does the noise start as soon as you start the engine? Or does it take awhile to start making noise.
I don't think I've ever noticed my compressor turn off. I thought it always runs while its in the "on" position.
it starts making noise as soon as i turn on the a/c...the compressor stays engaged all the time...whenever i turn the a/c off, well no more noise...
Old 07-07-2009, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not cycling the clutch then right. Well, i have run into issues before on other vehicles that the a/c comperssor relay was stuck on. But if it dis engages when you switch off the air that is probably not the case. I would be the clutch is garbage, but i would also put a pulley with bearing and the coil, (magnet) on it at the same time.