Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap for a 55 Belair

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Swap for a 55 Belair

I have a 55 Belair that I am considering doing a LS1 swap. I have only heard great things about the motor. I have several questions. Will it work? Is it fairly easy? What are some important things to know before the swap? What is the price range to do a swap like this? I appreciate all the help.
I have a fresh rebuilt 327SB out of a 63 vette. I laso have a muncie 4spd trans that I would be willing to swap for a LS1 trans combo. Thanks again
Darryl
Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site! There are a lot of great things about the LSx family of motors so you can't go wrong there. Check out the FAQ in the swap section and look around for a while to get some ideas, there is a also a good thread up there about swapping to a 5.3L on the cheap. The swap itself isn't anymore difficult than any other engine transplant, there are so many ways to go about it though that pricing is difficult. I guess the biggest concern is wiring the fuel injection, if you are good at wiring you should be able to modify a harness to work, there is also a stand alone system available from several places that will simplify things but also add considerable cost.
Have a look around and enjoy, there is plenty of information available.

Also, another expense of stepping up to fuel injection is your fuel system, there have been several posts recently about the unexpected high cost of a quality fuel system, while it's not always expensive you do need to plan on upgrading your pump, lines, ect, and possibly your tank to ensure you have a good supply of fuel under all conditions. All of this information is useless however if you plan on going to a carb'd setup but since you specified LS1 I am guessing that's not your plan.

Bring us up to speed on your plan and goals more specifically and we can try to help.

Last edited by cooks 7; 07-07-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add info on fuel system

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap for a 55 Belair