Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New school (lsx) vs old school (sbc23*)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default New school (lsx) vs old school (sbc23*)

Me and a fellow racer buddy of mine were having a discussion about the next motor for his 72 nova. I am trying to sway him to the new school of ls motors but he says he needs some hard evidence such as the power advantage of the better valve angle of the ls motors. He is saying if he builds a 434 stroker with some good brodix heads and 13:1 cr and a solid roller that the power would be about the same as a 434 ls motor with the same compression. He is also saying that if he uses a set of 18* heads on the old school motor the power would be the same. I told him then you would end paying a good chunk of money for those 18* heads. I think he would come out better with an ls setup in his car with some rect. port heads. He thinks he will come out better with a 23* sbc because it will be cheaper and just a lil down on power compared to the ls. Both motors will be carbed. He wants to see 650 to 700 at the crank.

Let's hear it guys which would be the better setup? What would you do if it was you. Would the costs be that much different and how much power difference would there be? Give some examples of the motors that you have seen built and dynoed and put up some sick n/a numbers, old and new.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i personally would go with the gmpp 454 lsx motor, it has six bolt heads and the block will support up to 2500hp and those heads will not lift. i would stay away from a carb set up, and keep the ls fuel injection system. ( i personally do not like carbs because i do not want to adjust my car every time the weather changes to get the most out of my car)
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The car doesn't see much street duty. So its going to be carbed for money reasons. This car is a ladder bar, mini tubbed car but it has tags. So it sees street duty but is basically a race car too.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

it was going to cost me more to carb my car than use the fuel injection so that's no excuse unless he has access to a carbed lsx manifold cheap...basically all you have to do is tune some stuff out of the stock computer and get a better fuel pump