Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

HELP! Junkyards trying to F*CK me...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Junkyards trying to F*CK me...

I've gone to over 10 junkyards today in S. Florida in my search for a set of used 317 heads. I found them in most of the junkyards I went to, HOWEVER none of these places would sell me just the heads. Every f*cking junkyard told me to buy the entire motor otherwise they could not sell me the heads. If one junkyard operated this way, I wouldn't be bothered, but every junkyard said they same thing "Buy the Motor". This is Bullsh*t! I don't need another motor, I already have 2 motors! I also called a bunch of other junkyards in my area to see if they had JUST THE HEADS available. Again, was told I need to purchase the motor to get the heads.

WTF is the point of going to a junkyard for used parts you need if the bastards are not willing to sell you just the part need?

I already checked the parts classified section in this forum for what I need.

In the meantime, I wanted to ask if anyone here in S. Florida has a set of used 317 heads lying around that they would like to sell/ or trade me. I don't really have much to offer to trade, just a used set of hooker LT headers that I no longer can use on my set-up. I have cash and am willing to drive to meet up and pick up the heads.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a set of 317's on the FL. classified section from MaxGee.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Thanks, I was looking for stock 317's though, he has work done to his and wants much more than am willing to pay for. I already have my own springs to install.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by omore001
Thanks, I was looking for stock 317's though, he has work done to his and wants much more than am willing to pay for. I already have my own springs to install.
He is selling them for $375, how cheaper can the possibly get; what $50

DM
Old 07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what motors do you have if one is an ls1 would you possibly sell it?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
He is selling them for $375, how cheaper can the possibly get; what $50

DM
Yeah, I am in the market for stock used heads ie: no porting, no spring upgrade. I already have my own springs so it is a waste for me to buy heads with springs and porting. I am only willing to settle for heads that are priced as I want them, stock. Stock used 317 heads are going for under $200 these days.

Originally Posted by 1998MysticZ28
what motors do you have if one is an ls1 would you possibly sell it?
I have an LS1 long block for sale but I doubt you want it. It spun a rod bearing and that is why it is coming out of the car. It's a 347 with forged pistons 10.1. Stock heads, etc.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Banned

Try car-part.com
Back when vortec heads were the thing and no one local sold heads only I picked up a pair from them for $240 to my door, so clean I used maybe a half can of brake cleaner and bolted them on.
That was a damn good price back then. $40 of that was shipping.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
Try car-part.com
Back when vortec heads were the thing and no one local sold heads only I picked up a pair from them for $240 to my door, so clean I used maybe a half can of brake cleaner and bolted them on.
That was a damn good price back then. $40 of that was shipping.
Damn right!!! I miss my L31s, such a bad *** head. Damn it, now I miss my 383 that the heads were bolted to

DM
Old 07-07-2009, 06:45 PM
FormerVendor

I think I have a set or two of stock 317 heads and can not remember if they have valves or not. I can sell them for $200 pair plus shipping unless you want tp come up and get them. let me know if you are interested and I will check them tomorrow. It may be better to e-mail me at thevettedr@aol.com or call me at 407-616-2518.

Hope this helps.

Mike Norris
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

Yeah, I am in the market for stock used heads ie: no porting, no spring upgrade. I already have my own springs so it is a waste for me to buy heads with springs and porting. I am only willing to settle for heads that are priced as I want them, stock. Stock used 317 heads are going for under $200 these days.

DAMN!!! $100-/+ bux!!! I was joking about the $50, but I guess I was half right, lol...

Well GL with the Mod

DM
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Launching!

...or half wrong, however you want to look at it. I don't really understand why you sound so willing and likely to pay $200+ for 317's, maybe you just overpaid for your heads in the past without researching and your angry and out to convince other people to over pay like you.

Devil's Mentor----------->
Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-c...ast-317-a.html

there is another set just a little further down the page

-jason
Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Banned

...or half wrong, however you want to look at it. I don't really understand why you sound so willing and likely to pay $200+ for 317's, maybe you just overpaid for your heads in the past without researching and your angry and out to convince other people to over pay like you.

Devil's Mentor----------->
Dude, I never bought 317's, what are you talking about

DM
Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 AM
10 Second Club

We should do somthing on those long tubes.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlackPlague
We should do somthing on those long tubes.
I am more than willing to work something out with you on the longtubes. Just remember that they are used, so if your looking for bling under the hood, look elsewhere. These LT's are flawless in the performance and sound you want, but they are not appealing to the eyes ie: some surface rust.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Junkyards can barely be bothered to pull & rack
motors, they will put zero effort (let alone any
guarantee of didn't-screw-up) into disassembling
a motor for an "internal" part.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try u-pull-it in davie they are cheap and will sell the head seperate. Check their website u-pull-it.com for the prices.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Junkyards can barely be bothered to pull & rack
motors, they will put zero effort (let alone any
guarantee of didn't-screw-up) into disassembling
a motor for an "internal" part.
This couldn't be more untrue.
I've seen entire cars disassembled and stored on racks indoors.

I moved to Texas for a short time, theres a road about 5 miles long in one town with junkyards on each side. I've been to at least 30 in one month.

A lot of them even list the engines in bad wrecks with broken blocks, etc, they're listed as "parts only".
One had an LS1 shortblock for sale, I wanted to look at it, they took me back to a well inventoried warehouse, it's location was numbered. Too bad the car apparently was in a real bad wreck, the block was split in half.

I asked the guy why the hell he even had it, his reply was 'well the cranks still good' That was a bad experience. Because I was looking for a short block, but I bet if I was looking for a used set of lifters or a used con rod I would have had one there.

The better yards aren't even yards. A lot of them dont even keep cars, they get them in and remove the good parts everything is assigned a number and put in the warehouse. Ask for a part, even a complete engine and they bring it out on a forklift for you to look at, or they might take you out to look at it.

I even worked at one for a short time, they test engines before pulling them, they offer warranties.

The one I found on car-part.com had the vortec heads listed, I called and asked a few questions like whats the casting number (not are they casting number###? ) and whats the casting clock say, they guy returned with the info and it was what I was looking for.

I know in Florida here there are some real **** yards, I know of one with a 38,000 mile 5.3 that runs great! it's just sitting out in the rain. So it ran great, the key is to pay attention to stuff like this.

My local pull your own part yard is about to do a multi million dollar remodel, they rack engines. Thats rare for a pull your part to rack engines.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

there are a **** load of U-Pulls in Miami; they don't give a **** what you take/ Also try Trans Am Creation (in Miami) and talk to Jeff, he might have something. there is also a HUGE U-Pull across from the DUMP off of 44l (near the 84 Lumber). Then again I have not lived down there for about 4 years so everything could have moved or changed.

DM
Old 07-08-2009, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

if the 317s are the steel heads let me know. i have a set.

Quick Reply: HELP! Junkyards trying to F*CK me...