Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Solid sleeve pinion installation help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid sleeve pinion installation help?

I just installed a set of 3:73's and i'm getting pinion noise above 60 mph. We had a hard time setting the back load on the pinion...now i have to take it apart to reset the pinion. I bought a new pinion kit and a solid sleeve in hopes of getting the pinion set properly with out the crush piece. Does anyone have any tricks or advice to installing a solid piece?? Just want to do it once!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

i think setting up a solid sleeve is anything but a one time easy setup. My 3.73s had one in it and they were quiet. Now my 4.11s have a crush sleeve(install kit didnt have any shims for it) and i have vibration only in 6th gear above 60mph. What is your noise, is it a whine from a pinion bearing??
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's not a whine...it's more like a slight rubbing noise or a bearing with no grease. It's hard to explain but it is not a whining noise and it only happens above 60 mph. I've read on here the solid sleeve was harder to set up, but easier to set pre-load on the pinion?