Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake light and shouldn't be??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light and shouldn't be??

I have a 2000 t/a and my brake light is on. I have checked the fluid of coarse and the e brake is down. The light is off for a few miles and then comes on. I messed with the sensor on the side of the reservoir but didn't help. It just started this after my 9 inch rear install. Just wondered if anyone has any advise. Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

What brake light are you talking about? Outside brake lights or the light in the cluster that says "Brake"?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's the dash light you might have a bad wheel speed sensor or something else amiss with the ABS system.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This happened to me a couple of days ago. That e-brake light not only comes on when the parking break is set, but when there is an un-equal pressure from the front to the rear brakes. There is a sensor under your ebrake handle. Get in there and disconnect it. If the light stays on and the parking brake is not set, its not the sensor.
I was low on brake fluid, so i topped the reservoir off, and it didnt fix the problem, so i went and got a complete brake system flush and fixed it. Not saying thats what you need, but some food for thought.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

sometimes if the fluid is dirty and low, the float in the reservoir will stick. Make sure you get it "unstuck" if you refilled it. you could have also broken a wheel speed sensor when you installed the rear, but i think the light would be on at all times if that was the case.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

I am going to flush the fluid. It could use it anyway and i had to bleed the rear brake when i did the rearend so i could see the float being stuck in the reservoir. Thanks again