Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Shocks & Struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shocks & Struts

I have a 98 stock z-28 I'm wanting to do some suspension. What will I need to make me hook better. I know I will need SFC's. I want to replace the shocks and struts because the car is 11 years old what would be a good set for street/strip? I will also drive the car daily.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a set of Bilstein HD's for stock springs. Also a set of LCA's would help too.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
Get a set of Bilstein HD's for stock springs.
I'm thinking of getting these. I have stock springs and need new shocks. Were they a good improvement in ride quality over stock? I'm looking for that as much as handling since there's a lot of bumps in the roads here and my car is a daily.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

is your spring already off the car ? or you have extra set of spring ? reason I say that cause if your first time ever take the spring off the shock 90% of the time, the bolt of that hold the spring to the shock is rust to HELL !!, it mean you have to cut the spring and properly shock ( I did ), to get the part you need for new shock and spring swap. I just rather get new shock and spring at the same time, SLP Bilstein packet is what i use.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HitmanLS1
I have a 98 stock z-28 I'm wanting to do some suspension. What will I need to make me hook better. I know I will need SFC's. I want to replace the shocks and struts because the car is 11 years old what would be a good set for street/strip? I will also drive the car daily.
the slp bilsteins off of summit is what i got. you cant beat 4 shocks for under 350 shipped
Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

You don't need to cut the spring at all! At most you just cut the threaded part of the shock and it will come apart. And you only have to cut it if it is rusty and won't break loose. But most are pretty rusty so don't be surprised if you do have to cut.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 AM
JJT
On The Tree

I'll have my IAS Edelbrock monotube shocks on 2 morro. I'll let you know what I think. Best bang for buck...I heard they can't be beat as far as corning...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

What about QA1's have you heard good things about these. I think this are high dollar ones. I have heard people say that they are just a high dollar setup that is over-rated.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok ill be waiting to see. By the way how much did they run you?

Originally Posted by JJT
I'll have my IAS Edelbrock monotube shocks on 2 morro. I'll let you know what I think. Best bang for buck...I heard they can't be beat as far as corning...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

QA1's will not ride comfortable at all! They are strictly for drag racing.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 AM
JJT
On The Tree

Ok ill be waiting to see. By the way how much did they run you?
Well...Someone who got them before me, gave me the lowest price and gave great reviews. Pace Performance. Fronts 200..everywhere else 250. Rears are the same everywhere. Summit will match any price. Problem though.... I told them to match Pace. I only got 3...2 rear, 1 front and the other front was on back order for almost 2 months. So...if Summit can get all shocks within a week...I doubt it though. Tell them to match Pace. I called Pace and they said they are a speical order. I also called Edel...long story short I ended up paying the 251 from WS6 for the 1 front......cause they had them in stock.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 AM
JJT
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JJT
Well...Someone who got them before me, gave me the lowest price and gave great reviews. Pace Performance. Fronts 200..everywhere else 250. Rears are the same everywhere. Summit will match any price. Problem though.... I told them to match Pace. I only got 3...2 rear, 1 front and the other front was on back order for almost 2 months. So...if Summit can get all shocks within a week...I doubt it though. Tell them to match Pace. I called Pace and they said they are a speical order. I also called Edel...long story short I ended up paying the 251 from WS6 for the 1 front......cause they had them in stock.

For what's worth...I posted the same question 3 months ago. Everyone said Koni...if I got the money. Those MF's are to expensive in my opinion. Also...Strano/Bilstein. I mean ...look the guy up. His like the Shock master. But...you can get the Bilstein/Strano shocks he sells elsewhere for cheaper. I did the research and the modified Bilstien he sells is the older Bilstein shock for F-bodies. He claims it's better then the new one and he is probably right. I heard the SLP Bilstein are great too. I look at it this way....Bilsteins been around for ever and well...their German made. Gotta be good. Edels monotube are a new inovation and made in the USA. Strano claims this is not so and they were made weak. But...I heard nothen but great reviews for the EDels and heard the Bilsteins leak. Well...anyway I'll find out 2 morro.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok cool let me kno!!
Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since i will have a street/strip car . I only need the sfc's and lca. My car is not lowered so how much will the relocation lca brackets help me? If i am missing something let me kno. If theres anything I can remove off the car to help shift weight but not mess with my steering let me kno. I aslo will be driving the car daily.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JJT
For what's worth...I posted the same question 3 months ago. Everyone said Koni...if I got the money. Those MF's are to expensive in my opinion. Also...Strano/Bilstein. I mean ...look the guy up. His like the Shock master. But...you can get the Bilstein/Strano shocks he sells elsewhere for cheaper. I did the research and the modified Bilstien he sells is the older Bilstein shock for F-bodies. He claims it's better then the new one and he is probably right. I heard the SLP Bilstein are great too. I look at it this way....Bilsteins been around for ever and well...their German made. Gotta be good. Edels monotube are a new inovation and made in the USA. Strano claims this is not so and they were made weak. But...I heard nothen but great reviews for the EDels and heard the Bilsteins leak. Well...anyway I'll find out 2 morro.
The valving he sells on the Bilsteins is the older valving that is less like the crappy deCarbons. I don't know of anyone else selling these. The HD Bilsteins aren't the same.

Yes, the Konis are good and the bilsteins are good too but for different reasons.

Really, a few reviews on a product aren't enough. You need something (ie Koni) where everyone that buys them are impressed. There are lots of "reviews" of guys saying they love how their 1.8" drop springs ride on stock shocks or gabriels. Give me a break, those shocks are crap and the car is going to ride like crap too.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
The valving he sells on the Bilsteins is the older valving that is less like the crappy deCarbons. I don't know of anyone else selling these. The HD Bilsteins aren't the same.

Yes, the Konis are good and the bilsteins are good too but for different reasons.

Really, a few reviews on a product aren't enough. You need something (ie Koni) where everyone that buys them are impressed. There are lots of "reviews" of guys saying they love how their 1.8" drop springs ride on stock shocks or gabriels. Give me a break, those shocks are crap and the car is going to ride like crap too.

You mean the stock and gabriels are crap...or the edels? Everyone I talked to who have them said the Edels are great. Nothen neg., except for Strano.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Ok cool let me kno!!
Sorry man, wont' know until Friday or Sat. Still need to get my wheel alignment.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JJT
You mean the stock and gabriels are crap...or the edels? Everyone I talked to who have them said the Edels are great. Nothen neg., except for Strano.
I don't know anything about the Edelbrocks. My point of reference points that you don't hear about them being used so any reviews you might "hear" I would take with a grain of salt until you get more people using them for these cars. Just read around here and you'll find people who think their car slammed on stock shocks rides OK. It won't.

In this case I would be talking to someone like Sam Strano who knows more about them than I do.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
JJT
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I don't know anything about the Edelbrocks. My point of reference points that you don't hear about them being used so any reviews you might "hear" I would take with a grain of salt until you get more people using them for these cars. Just read around here and you'll find people who think their car slammed on stock shocks rides OK. It won't.

In this case I would be talking to someone like Sam Strano who knows more about them than I do.
Yea...I read all the blogs and info of Strano knocking Edels. I don't know though...it just seems like when he talks about them... he wants you to buy his Strano/Bilstein pack so he (gets the money)...not Edel. He has to keep that race car in high mainteance you know. He keeps saying..."It doesn't matter...I sell the Edels too". But....he doesn't sell the fronts for 200 ea. More like 251. And I read a lot of people disagreeing with him on knocking the Edels They tested the Edels against the Bilstiens and stated the Edels were better. Again though...that was Edelbrock. I guess it's personal preference...Well...I'll find out this Fri or SAT. Dammit...!! now I'mm all pissed that I might be disappointed and wished I would of went Bilstein....I almost did.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats cool just keep me updated.

Quick Reply: New Shocks & Struts