Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What flywheel is best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What flywheel is best?

Texas speed has a clutch package that comes with a free flywheel, you can choose between a billet steel flywheel (28 lbs) and a chromoly flywheel (15 lbs). I have a 99 SS daily driver with just bolt ons. Which one would be best for my application?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ssweet
Texas speed has a clutch package that comes with a free flywheel, you can choose between a billet steel flywheel (28 lbs) and a chromoly flywheel (15 lbs). I have a 99 SS daily driver with just bolt ons. Which one would be best for my application?

Kind of a loaded question, but for the street, I personally like teh lightweight setup (chromoly) For the track, in a heavier car, with a sticky tire, I like teh Billet Steel.
But, on teh street, the lightweight setup "shocks" the tires less than a heavier setup, and hence, you can hook up better.

So, kind of depends on your setup, and from what you mentioned, you would like the lightweight setup.

Edit: Keep in mind (if you are looking at the Monster setup) that the Monster WHOLE clutch kit weighs @ 3 lbs MORE than a stock setup, so even though the Chromoly flywheel is 13 lbs lighter than teh Steel fly, if you look at it from a weight savings, if you went Chromoly, and going from stock, you re saving @ 10 Lbs (and not 13 like it might seem)
Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

ssweet, it is important to know what you plan to do with the car (in terms of usage), as well as how much torque the vehicle is making, and it is worth noting whether or not you are happy with the responsiveness of the set-up that you are currently using.

Moving to a lighter assembly will change the way the cars leaves from a stopped position. This is generally perceived as a slight lag in the way the car responds off idle. This change is due to the reduction in inertia that comes from removing mass from the assembly. I personally like a lighter overall clutch and flywheel package and typically run aluminum flywheels in my cars. But remember the difference in feel can be an acquired taste.

The lighter the flywheel the faster RPM's are gained and lost when depressing and releasing the throttle. In heavier applications with lower torque output a steel flywheel can help the car get out of the hole. Conversely, a car that spends the majority of its life at mid to high RPM would benefit from the reduced inertia of an aluminum flywheel and the ability of lighter assemblies to allow for greater efficiency of power transfer.

I am not a big fan of chromoly. This is due to the tendency of manufactures, in a effort to reduce weight of the assembly, to produce flywheels that are overly thin and thus less capable of dissipating heat that a similar weight aluminum flywheel. Beyond that the majority of the chromoly flywheels on the market do not use a replaceable friction surface (FPK) and as such have a limited life expectancy. With a replaceable FPK you have a flywheel that is rebuild-able and thus capable of providing a much longer life. If you are interested in any other info feel free to post or even drop me an email or give me a call--my info is listed below.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Were it me, on a daily driver, I wouldn't change it. The stock unit will work just fine. Have it resurfaced, though.

There's no such thing as a "free" flywheel. The cost is included in the price of the kit.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fleetmgr

There's no such thing as a "free" flywheel. The cost is included in the price of the kit.
I think he meant that teh Chromoly flywheel during the sale is a FREE upgrade over teh Billet Steel (atleast, I keep reading his post like he is looking at a Monster Setup, and right now during the sale, you can upgrade to the Chromoly for free)
Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gen414
I think he meant that teh Chromoly flywheel during the sale is a FREE upgrade over teh Billet Steel (atleast, I keep reading his post like he is looking at a Monster Setup, and right now during the sale, you can upgrade to the Chromoly for free)
Gotcha, tnx.

Quick Reply: What flywheel is best?