Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swapped yota

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS swapped yota

have had this truck since i was 16 and always had this crazy idea...I was injured back in november 08 in a dirtbike crash and progress pretty much stopped there, now im sitting at home alot so thought id share whats done so far....BIG THANKS to all the guys who posted wiring diagrams and such....HUGE help to me!

LS1/t56, 8.8 rear, homemade engine and tranny mounts, homemade wiring...hopefully when im healed we'll hear her talk.

-Josh
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Josh it looks great. You gonna hurt a lot of folks pride with that. Kinda like this guy does I suspect

Farm Truck
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57574
Old 07-08-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome, I'm doing an '89 yota' 2wd that I've had since I was 15, grandfather had it before me; first owner.

I wired the engine, '04 GTO/6speed, on a stand and got it running and re-wired it to remove the unnecessary bits, finished that this passed weekend. Tonight I'm test fitting the package in for the first time.

How difficult was it to do the 8.8 swap? What car is it sourced from, etc?

BTW, I'm also running mustang rims.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Believe it or not an 8.8 from an 97 explorer is pretty much a direct bolt in...the brake line is just on the drivers side instead of the passenger side like the yota rear. Then another thing that might help ya with the driveshaft is a stock 4.6 mustang driveshaft is the right length from the factory just have to get the 6-speed yolk made onto the front. Everything else is an adventure!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And adventure... sure

Just got in from the garage, issues... oil pan (GTO will not work as is) alternator (hits the steering box) and of course, exhaust. Just looking around now getting ideas of what will work.

I think you also convinced me to go ahead and do the rear end swap... looking at the ford rear, does look pretty simple and that the spring mount are near the same place. Thanks

Last edited by rotor vs. piston; 07-08-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

im in the middle stages of my research for this project, i would be doing a 4wd 91 x-cab, which adds a whole nother layer to the project, but the real challenge still remains in the engine swap it seems. I cant wait to see how this turns out!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

I used an f-body oil pan and just made a drop in the steering link and all is good. I'll try to get more pics up if it will help anyone. Also used fbody manifolds with minor clearance issues... nothing a hammer and sawzall wont take care of. Im hoping to try a set of f-body headers when im back at it. Also used the toyota clutch master just made the line out fit the t-56 slave. im soo close i just have some time still until i can even work and make money..so shes kinda on the backburner for a while. Lotsa time to plan everything out just right!

Quick Reply: LS swapped yota