Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Conversion question, LS1 to LT1 bird front ends?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Conversion question, LS1 to LT1 bird front ends?

I've been wanting to do this for a long time now, and have never heard of anyone doing it. Unpopular I guess. Does anyone have some info on how to convert an LS1 car to an LT1 style front end? I really like the LT1 firebird style with the inlets in the bumper (not the T/A style) and since I will be painting my car anyways I decided I would try to attempt this at the same time. Would anything prevent it from fitting together properly? It appears that the fenders are the same, not 100% positive on that though.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need the entire front clip. Fenders, hood bumper, bumper crash foam, headlight assemblys, headlight support, turn signals. And I'm sure I'm missing something else
Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Batman
You need the entire front clip. Fenders, hood bumper, bumper crash foam, headlight assemblys, headlight support, turn signals. And I'm sure I'm missing something else
If I got a front clip from a donor car, would it be a bolt-in type deal or would I have to fabricate anything? I'm going to be gutting the car, and pulling everything off the front end anyway so if thats what it takes then it wouldn't be a big deal. I plan to remove the entire interior and re-do that as well with sound deadener, etc.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The Batman
...fender-to-nose brackets, fender brackets (above turn signals), nose bracket in front of hood latch, and the plastic under the nose.

You can reuse the plastic under the nose, but you'll have to redrill several holes as the shape is slightly different between the LS1 & LT1 cars. The plastic wheel well liners are the same between the two cars.

The plug-ins for the headlight assemblies differ between the LS1 & LT1 cars as well. If you keep the Trans Am ground effects on your car, you'll need to drill two mounting holes at the bottom of the LT1 fenders (since the firebird/formula nose that you want won't have them).

I did an LT1 to LS1 front end conversion on my '95 'bird, so I tried to remember everything I ran across that was different.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its pretty much a bolt on deal. Hell if u wanted u could do the ram-air hood and airbox instead of the normal "lid" setup
Old 07-08-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I needed to know, searches just yield the opposite swap. I plan on removing the T/A ground effects and having the holes filled in, and switching to a firebird/formula style back bumper. I just love the shape of the LT1 birds, they look so pointy and aerodynamic. I also plan on changing the paint from red to white or yellow.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you keeping the Trans Am hatch & honeycomb taillights?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I plan to keep the T/A hatch unless it looks wierd, but the lights I prefer the square style of the LT1 so I think I might change those out too.

Quick Reply: Conversion question, LS1 to LT1 bird front ends?