Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with tranny!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tranny!

98 z28 LS1 6 speed. Will not go into 3rd at all, just grinds grinds grinds. 4th will go in if you baby it at low rpms, or stopped. Otherwise it will go in hard and nasty. Original owner(which is family friend) said he may have bent the forks while power shifting. If thats true, it shouldnt go in 4th at all, right? Any suggestions?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Forgot to add, it has a short throw shifter, he said that prob bent the forks.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

Well, teh 3/4 shift fork, is a KNOWN problem (made out of aluminum) in our cars. There is an upgrade (a steel one), but that might not be your problem (and also could be). But, I can tell you this, if you go into your tranny, you are gonna have it broken down, so you might as well upgrade to the Steel Fork, so plan on that anyways.
You (or he) may also have broke/stripped the 3rd gear synchro's/blocking rings/keys (take your pick).
The best thing to do is break it down, and see what is broke (unfortunately) and then buy the parts necessary (unless you are gonna have it rebuilt)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Teching In

So how about I took my ride to a friends shop to get inspected. I left it there with the top, and windows up. I pick it up today and the top, and windows were down. Right then I knew someone took it out. I get in the car and the shifter would hardly move, and 3rd is completely blocked! Of course the owner wasnt in, but man are they getting hell tomorrow! You shouldnt mess with other peoples stuff, but hey I might get the tranny fixed sooner!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1st_z28_ls1
98 z28 LS1 6 speed. Will not go into 3rd at all, just grinds grinds grinds. 4th will go in if you baby it at low rpms, or stopped. Otherwise it will go in hard and nasty. Original owner(which is family friend) said he may have bent the forks while power shifting. If thats true, it shouldnt go in 4th at all, right? Any suggestions?
Aw **** I just went through this haha. I laugh at myself not you btw. Sorry to hear the tranny has issues. Sounds like you need to pull that bad boy and get a rebuild. Like everyone told me, time for an overhaul.

I approached every angle. New fluid, new hydraulic fluids and bleed again. I had the same problem with 3rd gear, would grind like crazy yet I could start off in 3rd from a stand still. 5th gear grinded as well and I couldn't engage into reverse when I was already rolling down a hill in neutral (from my drive way).

Just sharing what happened with me.

Search this Thread