Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2000 Firebird Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2000 Firebird Electrical Issue

Alright, this one is weird. Was driving home from work, and upon pulling into my house, I see someone walking in the street, so I put on my highbeams because I can barely make out where they are. Idiot needs to walk on the sidewalk, anyway... 5 seconds later, as soon as I put my blinker on to turn into my driveway, I notice it's become 100x harder to make the turn. I start to brake and my pedal is 10x harder to push down. I then realize, I no longer hear my exhaust. The car has turned off. So I'm working overtime trying to stop the car and pull it off to the curb. I manage to do so right in front of my house. I try and turn the car on and it cranks but just wont turn over. I try 3 more times. No luck. I look at my dash, it's hardly illuminated, the lights are dulled, and my right blinker (the way I was turning is lit, but barely). I turn off my lights (though they weren't on, so lower them) and try to start the car, after a few seconds it turns over. Car's coming, so I turn on my lights and shift to reverse, power dies. WTF? Turn off lights, turn on car, back it up, pull into driveway. Park, turn on lights, car dies. I get off, and notice that the headlights (on the passenger side) are all dull. Even when lowbeams are on, and foglights are off, the other lights are still barely illuminated. Like constant power is going to them anyway. I try turning the car on, but as soon as I turn on either my highbeams, or blinker, car dies. I checked all bulbs and they seem to be all working, but the passenger side are all dull. I can't figure out what the deal is. And the right arrow on my dash won't go away.
Sorry for long post, but this has me stumped.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I checked the grounds that are easily accessible/visible in the engine bay. I'm not even sure where to start, except for the lights. That's what seems to kill the car. I don't understand why though.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a weak battery and/or alternator. You can go to most discount auto parts stores and have both checked for free.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Sounds like a weak battery and/or alternator. You can go to most discount auto parts stores and have both checked for free.
Battery is hardly a year old. My next day off from work isn't until Friday, so I'm going to have to push it until then.
I don't have any experience with a dying alternator. Does this sound like common signs of it's demise?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 PM
'Bird Director

I had a newer battery that even had the little green idiot light that said it was good, but it was deader than a doorknob....and it croaked in the staging lanes at the dragstrip.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'll look into it. Thanks. Any idea how much a new alt would run me though? Of course car starts acting up when I've depleted most of my "extra spending money/emergency" funds.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, when I went to lock the car using the key fob- I have set so I push the lock button once and the car chips the horn twice. When I did it tonight, I barely heard a "pmffbt"(x2). I repeated the process to make sure I wasn't imagining things, and yep, definitely that very weak, hardly audible excuse of a horn chirp.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like a bad alternator (or faulty wiring from) and your car is using your battery to try and run which in turn is running the battery down. Your car starts from the battery then uses the alternator to run after being started and then the battery charges back up from the alternator.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Well, I'll look into it. Thanks. Any idea how much a new alt would run me though? Of course car starts acting up when I've depleted most of my "extra spending money/emergency" funds.
Call sponsor SDPC---------------------->
Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ramairhead
Sounds to me like a bad alternator (or faulty wiring from) and your car is using your battery to try and run which in turn is running the battery down. Your car starts from the battery then uses the alternator to run after being started and then the battery charges back up from the alternator.
Alright, I'm hoping it's just my alt (even though that's probably the most expensive fix) but at least that'll fix my problem. I think maybe the alt is slowly starting to die? The way I see it is car starts from battery, and the alt is working just enough to keep the battery from completely draining, but not enough when put under load (ie, highbeams) and thus causes the car to cut off.

When driving home from work tonight, not even 30 sec on the road, my right blinker arrow on the dash slowly became illuminated. And stayed there, dully, even though I didn't put my blinker's on. Something's up. Just cant figure it out. I'm going to Autozone tomorrow to have my alt and battery tested. If it's my battery, it should be a free fix since it's still under warranty, if it's the alt, well $150 bucks bye bye. Oh well... Just want my car fixed! ya know?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairhead
Thats what I was thinking. Sounds like the alt died and you ran on battery.

Last edited by Danny2tek; 07-10-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Went to autozone today. Load tested the alt, and tested the battery. Battery checked out fine, the alt was apparently "dead". Bought one there, and am about to start to switch them out (this should be fun...). Guy says I've been running off pure battery. He said I had maybe 2 days tops before I stalled and would need to call a tow truck. Fail.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I replaced the alternator, and crossed my fingers. Turned on car, so far so good. Put the headlights on, battery meter kinda staggered a second, but returned to normal, put highbeams on... fail. Car turned off. I unplugged low beams and highbeams, and tried it again, this time car stayed on, thought I narrowed it to maybe a short in one of the light's connectors. Put my fogs on though, and car died. I was pissed. I had the wire brush out from when I cleaned my battery terminals so I went scrub happy at the 3 of the 4 grounds I could easily see in the engine bay. The 4th (battery ground) I couldn't take off so I left it alone. Upset, and discouraged, and my mom standing there saying it's probably my battery dying, I turned the car one once more after plugging in all the lights. Just for kicks, I tried them all again. Worked great. Had lows, highs AND fogs (woot for mod!) and not even a flicker in the battery meter. EPIC.
My conclusion?
I THINK it was just a bad ground connection, on top of the alternator going out. Went to AZ to get my core exchange and battery tested once more.
Had the battery tested. Good Battery- Low Charge. I'm having it charged so yeah. Car should be all set and good to go in an hour or so when I pick it up after dinner. Woot!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear man. all of your posts made me laugh. im 30 minutes away from starting my weekend, and im glad i ran across this post. Im happy that it all worked out for you, but at least you had some sense of humor about it. repost if it doesnt work again - fail...
rofl
Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02ws666
good to hear man. all of your posts made me laugh. im 30 minutes away from starting my weekend, and im glad i ran across this post. Im happy that it all worked out for you, but at least you had some sense of humor about it. repost if it doesnt work again - fail...
rofl
Lol, laughing at my troubles sir? I'm jk.
I hope everything goes well. I just got home, picked up the battery, installed, went for a short cruise and got some cheap gas (Woot!).
I think my starter MAY possibly be going out or something. I tried turning the car on after installing the battery and nothing happened. Electrical worked, car clicked, and nothing happened. Sat there, waited a few minutes... tried again, and it started just fine. Kinda odd to me... I'll have to look into the starter...
unless, someone's got something else to consider?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you didnt need to take out the batt to charge it, u just needed to drive the car awhile, check the nuts that hold your starter wires on,, ohh and disconnect your batt first
Old 07-11-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't want to burn up my brand new alternator. Plus, I was there, it's free to do, and it didn't take too terribly long. Charging it at least starts me on a clean slate.
I'll be checking on my starter bolts today. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
you didnt need to take out the batt to charge it, u just needed to drive the car awhile, check the nuts that hold your starter wires on,, ohh and disconnect your batt first
Alright, how in the heck do I get to my starter? I want to check/tighten contacts on it but can't find it...
Haynes manual says I need to remove some exhaust pieces.
Do not want to do that if avoidable.
Any tips?
3.8L V6...
Old 07-11-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
you didnt need to take out the batt to charge it, u just needed to drive the car awhile,
The alternator is NOT a replacement for a battery charger
Old 07-11-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
The alternator is NOT a replacement for a battery charger
Agreed. I didn't think so either. Neither did the guys at AZ. Good thing too, I'm glad he offered to charge it instead of me making him do it.

Quick Reply: 2000 Firebird Electrical Issue