Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Engine sitting crooked in car

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine sitting crooked in car

I have installed a Pa Racing K member and spohn solid motor mounts and after putting the engine block on the mounts i am seeing that it is not straight. Its not real far off but is easily noticable. The rear of the motor is on a little angle towards the passenger side. I put the trans on and loosened up all the motor mount bolts but still cant get it straight enough. When i pull over on the back of the trans to straighten everything out the motor mounts bind up and just wont let me get everything aligned. It is enought off center in the rear that the trans crossmember wont line up with the holes on the car to bolt it in. Nothing is hitting as far as the block or trans to cause the issue, it is in the mounts not holding the block straight. Has anybody seen this problem?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Time to call the mfr. of the K.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Thats what i was thinking but i know that Pa Racing is gunna tell me its the mounts and spohn is gunna say its the k member!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1FAST96
Thats what i was thinking but i know that Pa Racing is gunna tell me its the mounts and spohn is gunna say its the k member!
Then don't tell one about the other.

But, did you loosen up ALL the bolts on both the K and the mounts? It still won't line up?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Yea i backed all the bolts from the k member and the block and it will not allow it to pull over far enought to line up. Its driving me nuts cause ive put about 20 or more engines in f bodys and never had a problem like this. I have never used solid mounts before tho. Figured it would have been easy!!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Have you tried swapping mounts side to side?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

I checked to make sure that they were on the correct sides and they were. They are marked. I just talked to spohn and they said they have heard of this issue before and suggested slotting the holes on the k member and the motor mounts just eought to bring everything straight. I was thinking about doing this but didnt want to until i saw if anyone had any different ideas. Looks like what i'll be doing tho.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

did you make sure that the k-member hole pattern matched your existing pattern exactly? I had to do some match drilling when i accidently got an ls1 k-member in my 95
Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1FAST96
I checked to make sure that they were on the correct sides and they were. They are marked. I just talked to spohn and they said they have heard of this issue before and suggested slotting the holes on the k member and the motor mounts just eought to bring everything straight. I was thinking about doing this but didnt want to until i saw if anyone had any different ideas. Looks like what i'll be doing tho.
If the parts are new, I'd be damned if I'd start slotting anything. That whole warranty issue, you know. It's new, it should damn well fit.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Im putting an ls1 in my 96 camaro so i got an ls1 k member and mounts. The patterns were right on but there was zero slop in the holes from the k member to the mounts so thinking about it if i just slot them the tiniest bit i think it will give me enough for it to be ok without having a problem

Quick Reply: Engine sitting crooked in car