General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ignition ping or spark knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition ping or spark knock

I have a 2000 WS6 with headers, custom grind cam pkg, K&N, Granetelli MAF, 3" Y pipe and magnaflow exhaust. Since the header and cam mod things have ran good. Recently I started to hear ignition ping or spark knock on acceleration. I thought it might be the gas so I switched brands. That didn't fix it. There's no code given on my reader and no engine light. So, does the LS1 have a knock sensor that may be faulty and if so where is it located? Or is there something else I should look for like timing? Any feed back appreciated.

Last edited by andybme; 07-10-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

hey man whats up? i had the same issue with my 3rd gen formula. i chased timing...gas grades, everything. then when i took off my valve covers for paint, i tightened my rockers just a hare, the ticking noise went away. just something that MIGHT be part of you problem, check the bolts on top of your rockers. :-)
-chris
Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Teching In

I'm no mechanic but aren't the rockers what you tighten and loosen to adjust valve clearance? If so then that would say that your valves are out of adjustment wouldn't it? Since I had the cam package installed in a shop I would probably take it back to one if it comes to dinkin around with the valves. Now I'm wondering if the the timing changes from the factory spec when a different cam is installed? Any ideas on that?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

you would be correct, tightening the rockers changes valve lash. which would mean mine were slightly out...supposed to be zero lash on my car.
As per timing on a cam swap, im not 100% certain, but i dont think it would change more than maybe a degree or two, but your ECU should be controlling your timing. if its out, you may need to flash your computer, and adjust the timing that way. i cant think of much else that would cause your problem that you havent already tried.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Check for any vacuum leaks. Any unmetered air can cause the engine to run lean. Make sure nothing has loosened up.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Saturn5
Check for any vacuum leaks. Any unmetered air can cause the engine to run lean. Make sure nothing has loosened up.
I checked for leaks and found a loose clamp. It was on one side of the rubber sleeve between the K&N lid and the MAF. So I tightened it up and so far it sounds like that may have been the problem. I'll have to drive it more to make sure as I think that I still hear a little pinging on acceleration.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might go and clean the MAF, the tract leading
to it as well, and make sure the K&N filter element
is very well blotted. Clean and dry is factory condition,
all spoogey with oily dust crust is not. Then again,
neither is the Granatelli "Mystery MAF"... lean mix
and a bogus low air mass reading to push spark up,
you think that might have something to do with it?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@st place to look honestly is the fuel filter and fuel system. Low fuel flow-pressure=pinging knocking ruuning lean.

Quick Reply: Ignition ping or spark knock