Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DBW Response?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DBW Response?

Got a chance to get a Silverado drive-by-wire setup (pedal, TAC, TB) to put on my LS6. What's the difference to a Vette setup in driving feel?

I'm going to have SpearTech make the wiring harness but I'm curious if a truck DBW setup is slower acting than a Vette unit?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Corvette DBW in my Studebaker and also have an 01 Silverado with DBW. They feel the same to me. I believe the servo is on the opposite side of the truck throttle body, not sure if that makes a difference. Ask John about cruise control circuitry/wire loom too. Once you have DBW all you need is a switch to have cruise control.

Pat
Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat,
Very cool! The Mercedes has plenty of room on either side of the TB so it shouldn't matter where the stepper motor is located, but I think I might be marginal on height. I'm hoping to be able to use the Mercedes cruise control stalk for the DBW cruise but that could be interesting since the wiring available is nothing like what the GM unit is expecting. Guess that's why they make relays. :-)

John had mentioned the CC capability, which is half the reason I'm going with DBW. 480HP in something as quiet as a Benz will get me WAY past any chance of talking myself out of the ticket, so CC is required! The other reason is the simplification of the throttle setup. No linkage or cables to the TB. The Mercedes throttle linkage is all steel rod with ball/socket at every joint. Very elegant, very smooth, VERY expensive, and now, very unnecessary!!

The engine/tranny are bolted into the Benz, the driveshaft is in place. All the accessories are bolted to the engine and seem to have room. The fuel system should be reasonably easy. The rack and pinion steering is bolted in and seems fine (fingers crossed!!) and the cooling system should also be easy (using the MB radiator). A friend knows how to remove all the no-longer-needed Mercedes engine compartment wiring and say's its a piece of cake to remove! John said he can make me essentially a plug-n-play wiring harness with a half dozen wires that will need to be connected to the Benz. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it isn't the train!!

Thanks for the help!
Mike

Quick Reply: DBW Response?