Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can holding your 4l60e in a specific gear ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can holding your 4l60e in a specific gear ...

Can holding your A4 in a specific gear (@a specific rpm)mnually, on a higway (roll) help in a roll race against ie: an M6?

I really should technically be posting this in the bench racing section but figured the tranny guys here would be knowledgable in what works well with the manual shiftability. I just make sure anytime I manually **** (up or down) I always stay on the throttle. Hope that the way to do it? I do it sometimes to get those exhaust notes while coming up to a light (sometimes I'll leav'er in 2 or 3 for that effect-no downshifting) depending on speed. I'm also posting in another thread inquiring about throwing some 373s on it and how worth it would be to just go from the 323s I have. Anyways, thanks for listening guys. I already am learning a lot about these cars (through this forum and hands on) but I always ask opinions before proceeding. ONe of the things that makes this site so valuable is the ability to learn from other's mistakes right? There is no such thing as a dumb question right?

edit: scratch that, yes sometimes there really are dumb questions on here lol. But you catch my drift.

***Also will these 373 gears work with my future plan of having a 3400 stall str 2.1?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I hold mine in gears for a few reasons, When i burn out at the track I put it in 2 so that it doesnt shift into second while doing the burnout. Putting it in 2 makes you start from 2nd instead of 1st. Also, if Im roll racing from 35-60 and i have advanced knowledge of this (not counting a ricer fly-by) I will pull to 2 and hold the rpms until the race starts, however, as soon and you punch it click it to D,(it wont go to 3rd until the normal shift point) bc if you wait until its time to shift to click it up then it will likely bang the limiter. The shifts are delayed as compared to changing the gear selector. The only reason I do this is to be easy on the tranny from banging a WOT shift into second at 4K rpms. No reason you have to abuse the car to race it.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I can hold her in second and then when I punch it can I just go to 3? It will still shift when it's ready I'm sure but at least this way I can control what rolling rpm I take off at, correct?
Old 07-11-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

thats the way i do it...for roll races, i drop a gear and hold it max up to about 4700 and not for a long time, you dont want to generate to much heat...once you punch it shift it into D or OD and your good.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by oddwraith
So I can hold her in second and then when I punch it can I just go to 3? It will still shift when it's ready I'm sure but at least this way I can control what rolling rpm I take off at, correct?
right, it wont shift when you change to D, it will just be able to when it hits the shift rpm.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1998LS1SS
thats the way i do it...for roll races, i drop a gear and hold it max up to about 4700 and not for a long time, you dont want to generate to much heat...once you punch it shift it into D or OD and your good.
that's funny i always do roll races on 1st gear and i just leave it in 3

and you need to shift it into shift it to 3 since its a trans am

Last edited by -98-Z28-Darkness-; 07-12-2009 at 08:21 PM.