General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help needed with A/C

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Help needed with A/C

I replaced the compressor, accumalator and orifice tube. I then flushed all the hoses, condenser and evap. It then held a vaccum for an hour. I started the car and turned on max a/c, It got aprox, 1/2 - 3/4 can of before the compressor kicked on and sucked the rest in. I put a second can in, it took about half can. pressure on the low side was 30 and the high side 210. the air was blowing cool, not real cold. I went for a drive, while driving I heard a Squeal so I turned the air off and pulled over. The compressor would turn a little and stop. I hook up the guages and pressure was way high. I releived some pressure and the compressor kicked on The presure is now 25 on the low and 200 on the high. Now the air just blows hot. What can I check or do to try to fix this?

thank you for any help,
Eric
Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHADOW
I replaced the compressor, accumalator and orifice tube. I then flushed all the hoses, condenser and evap. It then held a vaccum for an hour. I started the car and turned on max a/c, It got aprox, 1/2 - 3/4 can of before the compressor kicked on and sucked the rest in. I put a second can in, it took about half can. pressure on the low side was 30 and the high side 210. the air was blowing cool, not real cold. I went for a drive, while driving I heard a Squeal so I turned the air off and pulled over. The compressor would turn a little and stop. I hook up the guages and pressure was way high. I releived some pressure and the compressor kicked on The presure is now 25 on the low and 200 on the high. Now the air just blows hot. What can I check or do to try to fix this?

thank you for any help,
Eric
Did you put a 3 oz can of "oil" in the system BEFORE you put the 134 in?

Old 07-13-2009, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Yes, I put 1 ounce in the accumulator, and I drained the old compressor, got just shy of 4 ounces from that. I put an equal amount of new oil into the new compressor. Thanks for any ideas you might have.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

You may have gotten a bad compressor right out of the box. Did you get brand new or reman? Or did you get a used one? How much vacuum did you pull? Are you absolutely certain that none of the new stuff is leaking?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

The compressor is a new Delphi unit. It pulled 29hg of vaccum, it held the vaccum for 2 hours. I returned the guages, but when I use the guage that comes with the R134 it reads 26 on the low side with the ac on. Once again thanks for any help.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSHADOW
The compressor is a new Delphi unit. It pulled 29hg of vaccum, it held the vaccum for 2 hours. I returned the guages, but when I use the guage that comes with the R134 it reads 26 on the low side with the ac on. Once again thanks for any help.
Dude, you pulled vacuum with the compressor? That's bad news, it's not made to do that...that's why they make vacuum pumps. Was I you, I'd start over with evacuating the system. And you need to pull at least 29.5" Hg and hold it with no drop for about 4 hours. Break vacuum with refrigerant until you reach atmospheric pressure, then pull vacuum again to the same 29.5". THEN charge it. When you're done, you'll know for sure your system is tight, and all the moisture that may be in it is gone.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, I did use a vaccum pump to get the vaccum. I used a pump and guage set from autozone. I will try what you suggested, it won't be till saturday morning though. It has been 112+ degrees the last week, its to hot when I get home from work. Thank for your help. Eric