Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready for heads - looking for a complete list of what's needed

Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting ready for heads - looking for a complete list of what's needed

So I am about ready to start purchasing all the parts required to do a head/cam swap and wanted to know what is involved with the whole process.

- Looking at Trick Flow street heads, but open to suggestions (though I don't want this thread to turn into a "these are the best heads out there" discussion thread - and AFR's are out of my price range I believe)

- A tune will be in order with the install...

- I know it's a good idea to replace the injectors - are 42#/hr injectors enough? What if I eventually want to go forced induction? Should I go 60#/hr injectors now, or are 42#/hr good enough for forced induction applications? Are 60#/hr too much for N/A cars?

- Should I replace the fuel pump as well, say, to a Walbro 255 L/hr? Is it required?

- To save on install costs, are the injectors, fuel pump (if required) able to be installed and driven without a tune, then take the car to get the other parts installed?

- Right now I have a Thunder Racing 224/224 with 0.562/0.562 lift at 0.050 on a 114 lsa. Any suggestions for a more powerful cam, that's streetable, and maybe slightly more "lopey"?

- Anything I am missing????

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-11-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

TFS 215 heads
cam (your choice might look at the el torro 230/230 .615/.598 111+2 i think)
36 or 42# injectors
heads/cam swap gasket pack
i am pretty sure u have a LS6 intake but if not look into that
P&P stock TB
fuel pump
tune
also if u r looking for the most out of your setup a ud pulley could be used also
Old 07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
TFS 215 heads
cam (your choice might look at the el torro 230/230 .615/.598 111+2 i think)
36 or 42# injectors
heads/cam swap gasket pack
i am pretty sure u have a LS6 intake but if not look into that
P&P stock TB
fuel pump
tune
also if u r looking for the most out of your setup a ud pulley could be used also
Thanks for the quick response! I do have the ls6 intake, a ported stock TB, and an underdrive pulley already, and the TFS 215's were what I was looking at. Are 36#/hrs good enough for my possible future modification of turbocharging? I guess I should ask if the heads can be used in FI applications as well (don't see why not but don't want to get blindsided down the road)? The 0.615 lift isn't too aggressive?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh yeah, brand of injectors to go with? Ford Racing? Bosch?

Search this Thread