Sponsored by:

Is this a bunch of BS??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a bunch of BS??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4L60E...Q5fAccessories

So i have a '00 TA with LT's, a lid and a borla catback. Currently running stock tires and ran a 13.1 at the track a little while ago. I was told that with a new stall converter i could definitely see the 12's this summer. Well that's my goal but my problem is i am buying a house in a month and getting married in a year so my budget is tighter than a high school prom date. So my question is is this ebay torque converter a piece of crap or do you think its worth it?? The name brand ones are running between 350 and 500. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Ruedy4; 07-11-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I would never buy a cheap converter unless I wanted to kill my transmission. It will cost you more in the long run.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont do it............save your money & do it right.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, dont skimp on the converter! If it goes bad, it can cost you a trans. and make sure you get a GOOD cooler with a stall.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

My dad has a 93 T/A and has been running a no name 3200 stall converter for about two years now without any problems on his stock 149,000 mile transmission. He went from a 14.11 to a 13.42, he has no regrets and enjoys driving the car everywhere. Yes, there are risks when buying from a non brand name seller but sometimes it is worth a shot. Hell TCI is a brand name converter and they seem to have alot of problems.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

but remember tci sells alot more converters then any other place so there are more out there to have issues when in fact they prob have the same failure rate as the other named brands out there. lets say tci sells 1000 converters and vig sells 100 and tci has 100 bad ones go out and vig has 10 bad ones both have a 10% fail rate. but you will here more from the 100 people then the 10. ive had tci converters in many cars i had one in a 96 ss camaro for almost 100k miles with out any issues.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by goldmecham
but remember tci sells alot more converters then any other place so there are more out there to have issues when in fact they prob have the same failure rate as the other named brands out there. lets say tci sells 1000 converters and vig sells 100 and tci has 100 bad ones go out and vig has 10 bad ones both have a 10% fail rate. but you will here more from the 100 people then the 10. ive had tci converters in many cars i had one in a 96 ss camaro for almost 100k miles with out any issues.
Good point!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

here's what i liked best from the ad:

All items come with a 12 Month Warranty. This warranty covers the part only. We will not pay for any labor, shipping, or other fees associated with the failure of any product, this includes product that may be defective on initial install. Regardless of failure reason!!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
here's what i liked best from the ad:

All items come with a 12 Month Warranty. This warranty covers the part only. We will not pay for any labor, shipping, or other fees associated with the failure of any product, this includes product that may be defective on initial install. Regardless of failure reason!!
i had already copied that.. so ill paste it again..

id pay 200$ just for a better warranty..

for 350-400 bucks you can get a low mile used yank/vig/circle D..

a converter will make or break an entire setup.. so why go cheap on that?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Way too important a piece of the puzzle to skimp on. I got a Vig 3600 with shift kit from Thunder for like 700 bucks a while back. Get a cooler too man, it's worth it.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM
8 Second Club

JUNK you get what you pay for
Old 07-15-2009, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

IDK what to tell you because it does sound like a good deal. Maybe too good to be true??? Then again people on here are happy with those very cheap stainless steel headers from ebay
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

from the words of Tommy Boy, "I can put a piece of junk in a box and slap a gaurantee on it, and all i sold you was a gauranteed piece of ****. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box with a gaurantee i can do it, I got free time."
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
for 350-400 bucks you can get a low mile used yank/vig/circle D..

a converter will make or break an entire setup.. so why go cheap on that?
No offense, but I wouldn't use a used converter in any car, unless the converter came with the trans I'm putting in. Trans fluid is a lot like the blood in your veins, it's different to each and every one. I don't know about you but I've never seen a converter completely drained of it's fluid. Since every trans uses it's clutches at a different rate, I wouldn't swap a converter from one trans to another.....sounds like a recipe for disaster.

To the OP, save your pennies and get a converter from a reputable supplier, weather it be TCI, Vigilante, Yank, etc. Then add a cooler to keep the temps in an acceptable range, and go to town. You'll be a lot happier doing it right the first time then having to do it more than once, especially if you do the work yourself.....I don't know about anyone else, but I hate having to redo things because I went the cheap/uninformed route.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

when you do get a converter get the pwm disabled so its on/off and not pulsing
Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by duh
No offense, but I wouldn't use a used converter in any car, unless the converter came with the trans I'm putting in. Trans fluid is a lot like the blood in your veins, it's different to each and every one. I don't know about you but I've never seen a converter completely drained of it's fluid. Since every trans uses it's clutches at a different rate, I wouldn't swap a converter from one trans to another.....sounds like a recipe for disaster.

To the OP, save your pennies and get a converter from a reputable supplier, weather it be TCI, Vigilante, Yank, etc. Then add a cooler to keep the temps in an acceptable range, and go to town. You'll be a lot happier doing it right the first time then having to do it more than once, especially if you do the work yourself.....I don't know about anyone else, but I hate having to redo things because I went the cheap/uninformed route.
LOLOLOLOLOL, I don't want to know how you feel about "unpure" women! Trans fluid... blood in veins... yea got it!

Never heard of a cut/clean/ajax?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by duh

people have blood transfusions all the time!!!!!

i would buy a used Vig/yank/circle before i bought a new "guaranteed piece of ****"..

Originally Posted by thedudeZ
LOLOLOLOLOL, I don't want to know how you feel about "unpure" women! Trans fluid... blood in veins... yea got it!

Never heard of a cut/clean/ajax?
get em Wes!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

You really get what you pay for when buying a converter.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i cheaped out on my converter in my 93 back when I rebuilt the trans. 10,000 miles later i had a paper weight...

save and buy a quality converter, and a GREAT cooler as well.

Quick Reply: Is this a bunch of BS??