Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pilot berring crank plug problem (got big problems)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pilot berring crank plug problem (got big problems)

ok fellas got my whole rotating assembly together yesterday. got the oil pan and all sensors on then realised the pilot berring was there. my buddy said it would come out w wet toilet paper packing it in it would push it out. well it pushed through something else. some one told me there was a plug there that we pushed through. i dont know what to do or how to fix it. please if you have any info i will listen

if anyone knows what to do if you want call 601-297-0325
name is jp
Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Launching!

youll have to take the oil pan back off to get it out, its a freeze plug, the ls1 cranks are gundrilled for light weight so they have to put a plug back there after they drill it..
Old 07-12-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have forced that wet paper into the crank. You have to find a way to get ALL of that **** out. Don't leave any of it in there or you will have bigger problems.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is what you pushed in. It is unfortunate but you should consult the service manual, not a friend. The old small blocks could be done with grease and a tool to remove the pilot bearing, but that is a major no-no on an LS family motor. You need to get it out and anything that went in with it. If you have access to a borescope you may be able to assure yourself its clean, other wise not sure how to get it out of the crank itself.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the replys so this pug does have to be replaced.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, it seals the crank. You need to remove the damaged plug and any material that entered the crankshaft since this is part of the oiling system and whatever is in there will need to move through the remainder of the lubrication system. Not sure where oil goes from there but if it is to the bearing it could prove disasterous. Careful on removal of the plug, if your scratch the surface where the plug goes and it leaks then it will take out your new clutch as well.

Last edited by vettenuts; 07-13-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As already stated, make sure that you get all of the tissue & the old freeze plug out of the oil pan. After installing the new freeze plug, put some JB quick weld epoxy around the perimiter of the freeze plug. This will ensure that no oil gets past it, to the clutch area. A slide hammer is a good way to remove the pilot bearing, in the future. Good-luck
Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

ok i know i need to get the tp out bou do i need to take oil pan off and rod caps to or just oil pan im just not sure where the tp could of went
Old 07-13-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^
It went into the oil pan w/ the freeze plug. The drawing above shows that 1.3" or so past the lip where the freeze plug seats is where the hole comes to an opening on the crank. That voided area is where the TP & freeze plug fell down into the oil pan. You don't need to remove anything, but the oil pan. Clean the pan out, install the new freeze plug & bearing (after removing the tranny & clutch assembly), then put a little JB quick weld around the freeze plug (to fill in any scratched areas & seal the freeze plug) & then you're done.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it probably just turned the plug sideways
Old 07-17-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're going to need a slide hammer, but not just any slide hammer. This is a special tool small enough to go inside of the pilot bearing and hook onto it so you can use the slide on the tool to hammer it out and I don't mean HAMMER it out. That's a small "h" in hammer.

Quick Reply: pilot berring crank plug problem (got big problems)