good boat to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good boat to buy?

well me and a buddy of mine have been talkin about getting a boat, new seem really expensive but for the used ones, not sure what should i be looking for. Anybody got any suggestions on a good reliable boat? nothing too big, maybe a boat big enough for like 4-6 people. it will be used for fishing, mostly saltwater but maybe some freshwater. can a boat be used for both saltwater and fresh water?

also ive seen some nice sized boats but there old like, 25 years old and stuff, anything to look for when checking out a boat that old? thanks fellas

Last edited by dry_kill; 07-12-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Teching In

what will you be using the boat for play, fishing, crusing?? Salt or fresh water? Boats are very expensive, buying an old boat with a newer motor is sometimes a good idea.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry, just edited it. it will be used to fishing. cant the boat be used in fresh and saltwater or is there something i dont know? still new to this
Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandovalt1
what will you be using the boat for play, fishing, crusing?? Salt or fresh water? Boats are very expensive, buying an old boat with a newer motor is sometimes a good idea.
x2. What will the boat be used for? This is the biggest thing to consider when purchasing a boat period, whether it be new or used. I would never buy a new boat. They depreciate really bad. There are alot of used older boat in the market that can be had for a reasonable price. Are you looking for something that you can ski behind or fish?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
x2. What will the boat be used for? This is the biggest thing to consider when purchasing a boat period, whether it be new or used. I would never buy a new boat. They depreciate really bad. There are alot of used older boat in the market that can be had for a reasonable price. Are you looking for something that you can ski behind or fish?
looking for a fishing boat
Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Cam72aro;11897849]x2. What will the boat be used for? This is the biggest thing to consider when purchasing a boat period, whether it be new or used. I would never buy a new boat. They depreciate really bad. There are alot of used older boat in the market that can be had for a reasonable price. QUOTE]

very true!!!

Do you fish shallow water deep of a mixture??
Old 07-12-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

mixture
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Teching In

pay a guide. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll catch more fish. Otherwise, I would look for yamaha or suzuki four stroke.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can find alot of Fish and Ski boats priced really reasonable, been looking at boats myself, and usually see some older Kingfishers, Skeeters and a few others in a good price rang of around 10k for ones that aren't really old,( like 97's and newer) if you look for a used Bass, Fish/Ski type boat, always check out the deck work for rotten boards especially if it's been in salt water, as well as corrosion in the compartments
Old 07-12-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Get a center console. I would get a fiberglass boat without any carpet in it. The aluminum boat around saltwater tend to corrode. Yamaha and mercury make good motor. I am partial to them both. What is your price range?
Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Get a center console. I would get a fiberglass boat without any carpet in it. The aluminum boat around saltwater tend to corrode. Yamaha and mercury make good motor. I am partial to them both. What is your price range?
Yeah price range is the big thing. You want a good 4 stroke motor for sure, otherwise you will be too worried about spending 50 bucks a fishing trip for gas to ever go out. Sounds like you want a ~21 ft bay boat with a 10-12" draft.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Teching In

if price is a big deal kenners, key west, sea hunt, and blue waves are alright bay boats for the price. for shallow water scb, south shore, triton, yellow fin, nautic star,and majek. all around fishing boats boston whaler, robalo, sea hunts, are not bad. just depending on what you want and the use.

check iboats.com they some times have some good deals or hit up the boat show when it comes to town. Its like buying a car lol once you make your decision you will find a better deal a week later
Old 07-13-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

price range is about no more then 8k, thanks for all the info
Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

found these, what do you all think?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1250014059.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1256588904.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1256430508.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1264759447.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1225654651.html
Old 07-13-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you want a deeper boat than i thought. Those are jetty boats. The 20' Robalo is nice but that motor is really thirsty (ask me how i know lol).
Old 07-13-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Any 2 stroke is gonna be a thirsty ****. The 20' Robalo with the Johnson looks nice and might be a pretty good deal. I would stay away from the boston whaler that needs fiberglass work. The cabin cruiser is kinda old and might be more than what you want, unless you plan on going out 40-50 miles and staying overnight. Even so, I wouldnt trust an older boat like that. If you are looking for just a bay boat then of those the robalo is my choice, but I am sure there are many many more out there.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

My pops is selling his center counsel for 6,500 but I may be able to get ya an ls1tech discount! Bad *** boat is all white has TWO live wells one one the front of the counsel that has a seat on the lid (large live well) and one in the rear of the boat (small one for live bait)... Its a 90's model with a 115 merc on it! Just had a new lower unit installed fishing line in the prop is no good pn any out board) it gets wrapped around the prop and tears up the seal witch causes the water to go in and the gear oil to come out in the end is a load of money down the hole... Anyways... He had a 1500 dollar ttop built for it from a place out of san antonio and it has a built in storage up top with a lockable door and has a marine cd player in it... Boat has four marine speakers for jammin out...

Has 2 batteries big tank under the counsel...
The seat for driving has an ice chest built in that is removable and the back part swivels back n forth so u can sit on either side of the seat...
Has a storage area under the front and has I swivel seat up front as well... Also has a trolling motor and gps fish finder...

He's not pushing to sell he's just lookin into gettin more of an all out off shore boat... This boat works off and off shore with no issues...

Boats loacted in surfside tx and we wouldn't have a problem droppin it in the water and lettin ya cruise it.... Hell could even take ya out fishin on it...

Just thoight ide throw it out there cuzz it soundes like exactly what yall would be interested in.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM

Sounds to me u need a bass boat... I own a lil skeeter 18ft and me and my dad have probs bumping into each other but were both above 6'4 lol.... fitting 4 people on a bass boat to fish shallow waters is gonna be a magic trick... Best advice learn how to catch suspended fish and get a lil party boat lol
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Most good center consoles come with a galvanized trailer. It'd be worth getting if you are going to do a lot of salt water fishing.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Try to find an older boston whaler they are by far one of the best fishing boats out there.. There quality really cant touch the these boats especialy some of the older ones. The price on the will be a little higher but With boats you really do get what you pay for. Either way what ever you get check the fiberglass for any cracks put it in water first... check for leaks, easy way to tell if the boat is well maintaind is run your hand under the botom of the v... check to see how smooth it is, boats require being waxed just like cars to keep them in good shape.!