General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

New window motor, won't go up all they way

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New window motor, won't go up all they way

I just got may window motor changed, but on one of the many motor changes, the holes that were drilled were too big, so now the front of the window stays 1/8 to 1/4down, it's a real pain in the a$$ on the highway, very noisy.
anybody know a way to adjust/fix this?
I don't wanna have to get a new door,

thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are the holes in the door panel enlarged? If so, can you post a picture? If they are too far out of whack, you won't be able to adjust for it and will need to perform a patch to the panel.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a similar problem but its only one hole that is really bad. and that one looks like this...

all the others look okay and i was wondering if maybe i could just jb weld a washer over each hole, not a very thick washer but i real durable and sturdy one and then put a nut and bolt through that to bolt to the regulator... any one think this will be sufficient?

here are what the others look like

Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 00MaroVSix
i have a similar problem but its only one hole that is really bad. and that one looks like this...

all the others look okay and i was wondering if maybe i could just jb weld a washer over each hole, not a very thick washer but i real durable and sturdy one and then put a nut and bolt through that to bolt to the regulator... any one think this will be sufficient?

here are what the others look like
Your biggest issue is that your regulator is installed with the wrong rivets. It looks like someone took out the regulator and then re-installed it with steel rivets, which are too small.

The composite door requires special rivets, which I've only been able to find from GM. (p/n 10157547) They have a steel mandrel with an aluminum jacket, hold on to the door properly, and will bear on the holes better.

The best fix I've seen for this problem is in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

You could epoxy the holes, but it will just be a bit of a mess and I doubt it will last as long as a reinforcing plate.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the response i never even thought of that, and although that is a killer idea i dont really have the tools or the material to do that myself or atleast not without calling in some favors. i ended up JB welding (2 part epoxy for those who dont know) some large washers right over the original holes that have a small 1/4 inch or so hole in the middle and glue the f*** out of it, let it sit over night and came out the next morning and it was tougher than concrete that thing is not going anywhere. the motor does not shift at all when going up or down, seals at the top perfectly and goes up and down evenly. thanks again guys

Quick Reply: New window motor, won't go up all they way