Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mix & match accessory drives?-1 style alternator bracket mixed with another ac & ps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mix & match accessory drives?-1 style alternator bracket mixed with another ac & ps?

Can you take something like a truck configuration accessory setup and substitute in a different, like a car style, alternator bracket?

Or would this not be possible?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy SS
Can you take something like a truck configuration accessory setup and substitute in a different, like a car style, alternator bracket?

Or would this not be possible?
the pulleys wouldnt line up im sure....
Old 07-13-2009, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

truck pulleys, y-body pulleys(vette) and f-body pulleys eaach have their own specific offset off the block face. none are interchangable. whatever crank pulley you have is the bracket setup you need to use. unless you fabricate up some kind of spacers.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.kwikperf.com/index.html

I dont think these guys are a site sponsor, so this might be first time I a slap on the wrist, but they make some neat brackets.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what u trying to put together?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an F body alt bracket machined down to install on a corvette motor. Ended up moving away from the Delco alternator for a smaller Denso alternator.

Anything is possible. But like said above, it won't be a bolt on affair.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

I have a line on a truck engine, complete fuel rails to oil pan and everything in between for an 80's El Camino.

The thing is, it looks like the alternator sits too high and will hit the hood.

The deal becomes a whole lot less cost-effective if I have to swap all the brackets and then possibly change the accessories themselves (unless an F-Body or Vette or GTO and a 1500 use the same A/C, P/S, and alternator).
Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

F-body and truck alternators have the same mounting boss spacing--Corvette is different. Most truck power steering pumps are the older, Type I style with the integrated metal reservoir. (Trailblazer/Envoy is an expection.) F-body PS pumps have a detachable plastic reservoir. Corvette pumps are similar but use a remote reservoir. Vette pumps also have a 5/8" shaft while F-body is 3/4". And, as mentioned above, all the accessories line up with the three different balancer/crank pulley spacings--Vette in close, F-body about 3/4" further out and truck/SUV another 3/4" past that.

Bottom line is: you can fairly easily swap one whole system for another, but it's tough to mix and match individual components.

Quick Reply: Mix & match accessory drives?-1 style alternator bracket mixed with another ac & ps?