Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Would You Build A Stock Bottom End 6L?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Would You Build A Stock Bottom End 6L?

Kinda new to the site guys and could use a little advice. I found a good used 2002 LQ4 with around 80K miles on it. My plans are to put it in my 89 IROC. I know the only things that will cross over is the block and heads. I'm interested in only the block (maybe the heads, they're aluminum 317s) with good stock internals. So here's my question:

What heads / cam /intake do you guys suggest for a 400+ rwhp motor? I don't got alot of money but enough to build a decent motor.

Heads/Cam; I was thinking of getting the 317s redone with new valves and TSP's MS4 cam kit including the prc springs etc. Maybe a little port and polish?

Would i want to put in new lifters right away? How about the timing chain?

Intake; What intake and TB would suit this motor best? The 96mm typhoon is comparable to the ls6, but for some reason the typhoon really sticks out at me. I won't have the money for a FAST intake, a good used one, but not a new one.

TB; I was looking at the Nick williams 96mm if i go the typhoon route.

Any help is appreciated guys
Also, if your running a 6.0, wanna share your motor's specs with me? Thanks

Just for *****, here's my car the way it is now. 305 speed with lots of suspension work, full exhaust, custom tune, new paint/interior.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 AM
Staging Lane

heads cam and intake duh lol jk man!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Yea i know that much.

Specifically what would you guys do? should i put in a new oil pump and rod bolts? There's so much to spend $$$ on in these motors i need to know when to stop lol.

Do those stage 2.5 heads from TSP fit on a 4" bore?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

TTT for the work crowd.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

you could do 400rwhp with a good cam no problem.

stick with the ls6 intake...or take the money from the heads and get a used FAST and port it yourself (if not done already).

that is a BEAUTIFUL Iroc....sick engine bay, and undercarriage....god i miss my 87 IROC
Old 07-14-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well you got some good ideas and some I am not so sure about. Working up the set of 317's you have is not a bad idea at all you can do 2.04 intakes, and 1.60 exhaust then have them cut down to a 64cc which will make them an all around multipurpose set of heads. As for the MS4 that is going to be a problem without a lot of flycutting or a set of pistons you can pretty much forget about running that, now the MS3 on the other hand with a little work you should be able to make that function without too many issues. Livernois by far has the best looking set of valves springs I have seen yet for the LS motors good for .690 lift, micropolished, with tit retainer for like $370 I forget the actual price getting ready to do an install with a set real nice piece. As for the Typhoon I don't really know of anyone that has been impressed with the flow they offer. You said it yourself, "flow comparible to an LS6" well that is a 96mm compared to a stock 78mm factory piece that is not good at all in my book. I am running an LS6 on top of my 6.0 right now and it makes good bottom end and pulls like hell up top the next move for me is a edelbrock single plane with a 90mm elbow. Now you also asked about rodbolts, get you some ARP's for the rods, heads, and balancer that way you can take your engine apart and not have to worry about any junk torque to yield bolts ever again. Yeah it is gonna cost a pretty good little chunk but it is insurance and piece of mind over stock hardware in something your gonna take out and beat on. Might as well go ahead and get an LS2 HD timing chain from the dealer and toss in it while your inside along with a good Meling oil pump. I myself have also been running the pickup tube clamp from BRPHOTRODS on here and could not be happier without worrying about the o-ring getting pinched or the oiling system picking up air around the tube seal on the pump. Something you might want to look into. Hope that gets you started and good luck on the build
Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn thats a beautiful car man, nice job !!

Use the LS6 intake like teke said, and you wont need a cam as radical as an MS4 to make 400RWHP in a 6.0.

I would get the heads worked and milled a little to get it about 11:1 compression and go from there.

If you plan on spinning it 6500 or higher and have extra money, katech rod bolts would be a good investment.

As far as lifters go, how many miles are on the motor?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I made just over 400rwhp with my LQ4 bottom end, LS6 intake, stock 241's and a mild cam (228/230, .580 something lift.)

I put on a budget set of heads, ported fast, UD pulley and new cam (still pretty mild) and make 470rwhp.

If it were my motor i would sell the 317's and look for a deal on a set of Patriots or PRC's.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

awesome car!
so u gonna swap in a lsx?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the info guys! I couldn't build **** without your help . And thanks for the comments about my iroc, put ALOT of work in it. Just today installed a full pillar pod and mounted my shift light where the cig lighter used to be, looks sweet.

Teke, 3rd gens got some style don't they lol. i think the ls6 ported by tpis (they're like 20 minutes down the road from me) will be good until i save up for a fast.
WYATT, indespensible info you have. Gonna look up livernois now.
Toolate, i think 11:1 will be a bit high for pump gas?
Adam, the heads are still up in the air. I havn't bought the motor yet, but called a reputable shop today and he said he's got a block, internals, and heads for $400. If i got time im driving up there wed. or thursday with $500 cash to take a look and see if he's got anything else i might need.
And Neme, is there anything better than an LSX in an IROC

Somewhat/kinda/notreally gameplan.

Stock bottom end LQ4 with aftermarket rod bolts, meling oil pump, ls2 hd chain, maybe new bearings?

New lifters, correct size pushrods, good spring kit

Cam speced by Patrick G, or a ms3. MS4 if i need to put in new pistons.

LS6 90mm ported with a nick williams 90.

Some kinda shiny billet ruel rails and ?40lbs? injectors?

Then a harness and GOOD tune. Should go 475+ if i get different heads i hope

ps, any good lq4 build threads here that you guys know of? This site is ginormous!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd definetly recommend having Pat G spec you a cam, he spec'd my new one and I thought the car drove good before, but its a night and day difference with his cam.

As far as the intake goes, i doubt you'll make 475+ with a modified LS6 intake. For the money that you'd spend on the intake and then having it modified by TPIS you could have yourself a used FAST.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

the lsx engines run 11:1 compression all day long on pump gas.

unless you only want to run low grade....go for the compression...these things love compression.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

How would i get 11:1 with a stock rotating assembly? Can you shave the heads and deck the block that much without running into huge PTV issues?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Well the motor im looking at/found now is not running and is high milage. complete motor with a 4l80e for 650, The 4l80e is not my style, t-56 ftw.

SOOO....I could bore it and put in new pistons and bearings? IDK if i have to bore it i got a feeling ill go witha stroker and TSPs lq9 head package.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sound like this is getting more and more in depth on the build here now we are talking boring and stroking. This is where all the big money comes in. Is that 4L80 a 2wd model? If so where are you located I may be interested in it.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

My trans am has a lq4 which has 7cc dished pistons. ptv is not much an issue unless you get real wild with the cam which you dont need.
I have mildly ported 241 heads milled to 63.5 cc chambers and 10.3 /1 compression. f14 cam , fast intake and edelbrock stepped headers. have not dynoed this setup but when it was a stock bottom ls1 with the same heads and f13 cam, it laid down 441/410 tq through a 12 bolt , 4.30 gears and 6spd.

Also if it came with a truck intake, water pump and such, stick with the truck intake unless its to ugly for you. THey perform pretty damn close to the ls6 intake. My nova runs pretty well with the truck intake on it. Pulls all the way to 6900 before the kpa drops off from 98 down to 95 on the map. That is when it becomes the restriction.

My lq4 runs more mph then the ls1 did. right at 122 in street trim at 3800 lbs
Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I will try to get ahold of one of the guys around my area, he is on here as well Jaysz28 I think is his screen name. He has a third gen with a ls1 swap in and a small cam. He is getting all the bugs worked out, but it is running

Last edited by black01_WS6; 07-17-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have always been told that you spend every last possible dime on the absolute no doubt best heads you can find (ie Mamofied AFR's and the like) and THEN start matchiong all the components together from there.

Wish I had been told this formula before I did my H/C. I would not have TSP heads.

EDIT: just realized how that /\ looks...I mean nothing bad about TSP's products they work well for what they are, but if I knew then what I know now I would have Mamo AFR's or T4P Darts/243's with a custom grind.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

So many decisions...well i better actually get a damn lq4 first.

Alot of local shops say the lq4 came with horrible piston slap from factory so a bore and oversized pistons are starting to sound like a must.

Question: How much can you bore a 4" lq4? I'd like to do the most possible but yet be safe. 4.xxx numbers would be great.
EDIT: Answered my own question, 4.060". but IDK if he has a sonic tester?

Then, can i get different length rods and diff pistons to boost compression?

A good friend of mine owns a machine shop that does alot of gen1 sbcs and bikes, but he's never even looked inside a lsx. A bore is a bore right? I shouldn't have to worry about this potentially being his first gen3 bore?

btw, I'll have to rob alot of c-stores to have enough $$$$ for kick *** heads just kidding of course I think i'll set a $4K budget on the complete motor intake to pan. Thats AFTER the purchase price. Then in a little while, another $2K for all the swap parts for my IROC.

Last edited by 89ROC-Z; 07-18-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you find an lq4 that is together and running, why change a bunch of stuff? i wouldn't do **** to it. swap cams, get a new oil pump and timing chain while you're at it, find an ls6 intake/tb and go for it. with a mid-230s duration cam i can see 400whp, definately more with a larger cam and single plane (vic jr) intake.

if you must pull the heads, simply mill the 317s you've got. the factory lq4 pistons have a 6.7cc dish, which should provide more than enough space to run most any cam you can fit in there.

edit: i'm in the process of swapping an lm7 into an 89 firebird. thirdgen or bust!

Quick Reply: How Would You Build A Stock Bottom End 6L?