Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

A/C compressor replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor replacement help

My compressor in my '99 Firehawk has been making noises sounding like a pulley that needs to be oiled for some time now. Unfortunately I didn't realize that's what the problem was until a few days ago and now the compressor makes this loud wining sound as the engine revs up. The A/C has been blowing cold up until today where it is now blowing cool, but not cold.

Obviously I now have to replace the compressor, which I've ordered, and that is where my needed help comes into play. I've also ordered an Accumulator, Orifice Tube and a Seal Kit all for around $50 (compressor not included). The car has 58K miles on it and I live in Houston. I haven't seen any freezing or anything like that on any components. My questions are:

1) Are there any other parts I should replace?
2) Is this something I can do on my own (minus taking it somewhere to get flushed out since I don't have the tools)? I recently did a head gasket replacement on my '95 Firehawk so I'm somewhat adept at working on cars, but I've never done an A/C before.
3) What steps should I take to fix this and/or is there a place online that shows a good step by step process to do this?
4) Is there anything I should know or that I am forgetting to include here?

Please help! Thanks in advance everyone!