Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Play in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Play in steering wheel

I have about 150 miles on new wheels and Hankook tires, size 275/40r17. The car was aligned in March 09, with about 1000 miles since. When getting up to 45mph or more, there is a lot of play in the steering wheel, with it vibrating side to side. Is this a tire balancing issue? Tire shop recommended 35psi in tires...is this too much, since stock was 30 psi? Is this an alignment issue, since it's possible it got whacked out of alignment on these bad Pennsylvania roads? Is this a warped rotor issue? Any other ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SRFCTY
I have about 150 miles on new wheels and Hankook tires, size 275/40r17. The car was aligned in March 09, with about 1000 miles since. When getting up to 45mph or more, there is a lot of play in the steering wheel, with it vibrating side to side. Is this a tire balancing issue? Tire shop recommended 35psi in tires...is this too much, since stock was 30 psi? Is this an alignment issue, since it's possible it got whacked out of alignment on these bad Pennsylvania roads? Is this a warped rotor issue? Any other ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
35psi will make your tires wear faster in the center and will make your ride rougher. I run 31-32 and get great tire wear.

The steering wheel vibration is poor wheel balancing. Find a shop with a road force balancer and have them balance them properly and that will go away.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Will do...Thanks!