Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default exhaust leak?

my car has been making a thumping noise, seems to get more rapid with rpms, almost like a vibration, engine idles fine, guages look good, oil looks good etc.... is there any way to tell for sure thats what it is?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start the car, pop the hood and start listening for noises. Feel around for leaks if you can. Exhuast is hot (duh), so dont put your hand too close to it. And watch out for the belts and any other moving parts.

Trying sinching in on the manifold bolts a little bit, but dont go too much and break them off. Or the AIR system stuff.

Did you do any mods or make any changes (even the oil) and then this noise started?? Hit a pothole on the road...anything. Think about when the noise started and something that might have triggered this.

Last edited by cutlass_455; 07-13-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
Start the car, pop the hood and start listening for noises. Feel around for leaks if you can. Exhuast is hot (duh), so dont put your hand too close to it. And watch out for the belts and any other moving parts.

Trying sinching in on the manifold bolts a little bit, but dont go too much and break them off. Or the AIR system stuff.

Did you do any mods or make any changes (even the oil) and then this noise started?? Hit a pothole on the road...anything. Think about when the noise started and something that might have triggered this.
just changed oil, went to sw30 from 10w30, but i think it started before then, i did headers not to long ago, deleted cats and air system.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you go back and tighten all your joints after a few heat cycles?? Sometimes thats required on exhuast stuff. Get it hot, kill the motor and get in there and tighten up all the stuff you touched.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you go back and tighten all your joints after a few heat cycles?? Sometimes thats required on exhuast stuff. Get it hot, kill the motor and get in there and tighten up all the stuff you touched.
no, i didnt, maybe it just took a little while to loosen up, i could do that this weekend, makes sense, heat expanding and contracting the metal. think those could cause my symptoms? it almost feels like a vibration.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does it only do it at a stand still?? Or while driving as well?? You maybe need to give a bit more detail about the sounds, feelings, symptoms, previous troubleshooting and mods done to the car for us to help you out. Hows your oil pressure, how many miles on the car, a4 or m6, does it do only cold, or only hot, or all the time, at idle, off idle, mid rev band, all over?????? You know standard stuff. The more detail the easier it is for someone to help.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

2002 ls1, m6, 35k, does it after running for a min and then until the car shuts off, oil pressure is good, it kind of a thumping noise and feeling, cant really hear it from under the hood, only in the car, does it sitting still and driving, gets faster with rpms. seems like it really picks up after 2k. ill take a little video for your and post it, that should help out alot.

Does it only do it at a stand still?? Or while driving as well?? You maybe need to give a bit more detail about the sounds, feelings, symptoms, previous troubleshooting and mods done to the car for us to help you out. Hows your oil pressure, how many miles on the car, a4 or m6, does it do only cold, or only hot, or all the time, at idle, off idle, mid rev band, all over?????? You know standard stuff. The more detail the easier it is for someone to help.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said, I would start with the easy stuff and start tightening up exhaust flanges. Do you still have the Y pipe?? Maybe its leaking there.

Put the car securly on jack stands and listen for noises with it in the air. If you put the rear wheels in the air then you COULD roll them in first gear slowly and see if its coming fom the drive train.