General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C compressor replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor replacement help

My compressor in my '99 Firehawk has been making squeeking noises sounding like a pulley that needs to be lubricated for some time now. Unfortunately I didn't realize that's what the problem was until a few days ago and now the compressor makes this loud wining sound that gets louder as the engine revs up. The A/C has been blowing cold up until today where it is now blowing cool, but not cold.

Obviously I now have to replace the compressor, which I've ordered, and that is where my needed help comes into play. I've also ordered an Accumulator, Orifice Tube and a Seal Kit all for around $50 (compressor not included). The car has 58K miles on it and I live in Houston where it is hotter than hell and A/C is a must and not a luxury. I haven't seen any freezing or anything like that on any components and everything looks "normal," but functions badly. My questions are:

1) Are there any other parts I should/need to replace?
2) Is this something I can do on my own (minus taking it somewhere to get flushed out since I don't have the tools) or should I take it to a mechanic? I recently did a head gasket replacement on my '95 Firehawk so I'm somewhat adept at working on cars, but I've never done an A/C before and I don't have the $1500 or so dollars to fix it now.
3) What steps should I take to fix this and/or is there a place online that shows a good step by step process to do this?
4) Is there anything I should know or that I am forgetting to include here?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like you've got it covered parts wise.

You probably want to take it to the shop for flush/charge, as it takes tooling you can't rent and probably don't have.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Looks like you've got it covered parts wise.

You probably want to take it to the shop for flush/charge, as it takes tooling you can't rent and probably don't have.

Thanks for the reassurance. My plan is to take it to a shop for the flush and charge and you're right, I don't have those tools.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

If you want to save some money, you can charge the system yourself, with a couple cans of freon+oil+dye and a charge tube with an inline pressure tester.

The main thing you need the mechanic for is to "evacuate" the system. Basically, they hook a powerful vaccuum system up to the A/C system to pull all of the water vapor out. Usually takes 30-60 minutes. This step will also verify that you did the work properly, since they'll tell you if the system won't hold a vaccuum.

After the system has been evacuated, you can drive it home & fill it yourself. Most mechanics charge a ridiculous amount for A/C recharges. It's really only a 15 minute job when you do it on your own.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I too am having a high pitched squeal (for lack of a better term) @ either my Compressor clutches going out, or a lower bet tensioner. A/C blows ICE cold. Just replaced everything last year from compressor to firewall.. Like you, i will start with the tensioner to see if that is the culprit. Luckily for me i have the warranty on the Compressor.

THE BAD:
Having to evacuate the sytem again and recharge "If" it is the compressor.

GL... and know that you are not alone.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jcws6
If you want to save some money, you can charge the system yourself, with a couple cans of freon+oil+dye and a charge tube with an inline pressure tester.

The main thing you need the mechanic for is to "evacuate" the system. Basically, they hook a powerful vaccuum system up to the A/C system to pull all of the water vapor out. Usually takes 30-60 minutes. This step will also verify that you did the work properly, since they'll tell you if the system won't hold a vaccuum.

After the system has been evacuated, you can drive it home & fill it yourself. Most mechanics charge a ridiculous amount for A/C recharges. It's really only a 15 minute job when you do it on your own.
Thanks a lot, that's good to know!!! I found a guy that used to work in a shop that will replace everything and vacuum the lines and add the oil and freon for $225. He came highly recommended and for that amount of money I'd rather him do it than me. I'll post the results after it gets done although the A/C just got put on the back burner since my clutch is now having problems.

It stuck to the floor, for the most part (it came up a little; about an inch or two) when I pushed it in yesterday evening and I had to use my foot to pull it up every time I switched gears as well as having to rev up the engine to get it to go into gear. Then, later that night I went out and tried it again to see if it still had the problem the clutch worked fine, for the most part. I checked the clutch fluid level and it was good, so I'm not too sure what the problem is. I'll start another thread about this later, but until I do do any of you have any ideas?

When it rains, it pours!