General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any ideas or suggestions CE light and Fans ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas or suggestions CE light and Fans ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF

Hey guys,
I just recently came across a deal on a 95 z28 with 50k mi bone stock original owner automatic car. Black on black very clean car. Well I have a problem with the car. The issue is that the check engine light comes on and so do the fans at the same time. Irregardless of temp, load gear, etc. The analog gauge is working and appears to be correct, just above 160. The weird thing about is there is almost no consistency in its manners. Except that when the check engine light comes on so do both fans. Then after a while they shut off and both CE light and a/c and cooling fan come on. On and Off, On and Off varying in times between each occurence. Owner told me that the w/p pump was replaced last year but the car saw very very low drive time after. Could I have a nasty air pocket causing false readings back to the pcm? A bad CTS causing the same thing? (but the gauge is steady with no fluctuation). The a/c is not working also. Maybe I just have some gremlins from someone elses hands being in there at the shop? My tech 1 is currently out of commision (let someone borrow it and the ALDL cable found the fan, dont ask how, very touchy hes paying for it)
Please any input is appreciated and any ideas and suggestions as well.
Thanks I will keep you guys updated.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go to AutoZone or somebody like that and let them pull the codes. Then you'll have a starting point.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to find out what the code(s) is, fans coming on when certain DTCs set is normal. Don't think autozone can help you since the '95 has an OBDII DLC port, and OBDI PCM.