Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch disc in backwards?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch disc in backwards?

Just installed a barely used spec stage 1. I didnt see on the disc which way faced the flywheel, so i guess'ed. But now while the car is on jack stands and i start it up in gear the tires turn, even with clutch in. Iv'e bled clutch and pedal feels good. I can roll threw the gears ok, but if i start car up in neutral it does'nt want to go into gear, just ginds. Thanks for tips.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

I suppose that it is possible that you installed the disc backwards. We send out our discs with stickers that indicate "FW side" to insure that you understand the appropriate orientation. Did your disc not have this? I suppose it could have been removed by the original installer or that it could have been less visible as a result of dirt/dust on the disc. The correct orientation is with the sprung (tall side) of the disc towards the pressure-plate. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 AM
FormerVendor

Keep in mind, that with all 4 wheels off the ground, and car in gear, and clutch pedal depressed, it is NORMAL for you to get SOME wheel spin. Nothign crazy or anythig like that, as well if you stop teh tires, the motor should not die.

However, if you are having a hard time getting it into gear, you may have installed it backwards, but there are other things to look at first.
#1 Hydraulics. The hydraulics are a real PIA and finicky on our cars, and you need to make sure you REALLY bled teh system correctly
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

It is certainly possible that this is hydraulic...though it seems that the customer has some concern about the disc orientation and mentioned good pedal feel which often suffers when there is air in the lines. If this is the issue then it would be safe to check the disc before going to crazy chasing down a hydraulic issue.

OP, you can try bleeding, as this is less intrusive than pulling the trans, you may have already done this, but if you think you installed the disc backwards then you may have. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

if the tires speed up when you give it gas, ie clutch engaged then yes it probably is in backwards. I just had a kid come in a few weeks ago with the same problem. Clutch wouldnt disengage. Well he put the disk in backwards.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
It is certainly possible that this is hydraulic...though it seems that the customer has some concern about the disc orientation and mentioned good pedal feel which often suffers when there is air in the lines. If this is the issue then it would be safe to check the disc before going to crazy chasing down a hydraulic issue.

I agree, but why I mentioned the hydraulics is that fact....it is less intrusive than pulling a trans and checking teh disc. A good solid 15-30 minutes (depending on his know how) bleeding teh system would determine if he needs to look into pulling a tranny.
And the exact opposite, would be a shame for him to pull teh tranny, only to realize it was hydraulic.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Bleeding is easy and cheap, I agree. But what if bleeding doesn't fix the issue? Since there is already a referenced potential for the disc to be installed backwards it would be a shame for him to throw money or parts (slave or master) at a problem that isnt hydraulic to begin with. The OP was capable of installing the clutch (though he is concerned that the disc went in worng) so I would think that he would have likely considered hydraulics as a possible cause already and likely even bled the system. Perhaps not...only the OP knows.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Im certain that i put the disk in with the sticker facing the flywheel, it seemed to realy fit in the crank better that way. This whole set up was used and i did'nt pay attention to weather a spec spacer was behind the slave, which was a new piece. But pedal does feel good , but with car in gear with the clutch in the car will die if u hit the brakes.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Tried to bleed system again pedal feels good but with car in gear and clutch in wheels will spin 4mph. Also when u hit the brakes it will still die,but goin threw the gears fills smooth.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Bleeding is easy and cheap, I agree. But what if bleeding doesn't fix the issue? Since there is already a referenced potential for the disc to be installed backwards it would be a shame for him to throw money or parts (slave or master) at a problem that isnt hydraulic to begin with. The OP was capable of installing the clutch (though he is concerned that the disc went in worng) so I would think that he would have likely considered hydraulics as a possible cause already and likely even bled the system. Perhaps not...only the OP knows.

I just think you are not understanding what I am saying, but that's OK. I never said for him to go guy hydraulics. I said to bleed them, that's all. If bleeding does not fix it, then yank the tranny. Check disc. Done deal.

Originally Posted by Tony 2000
I , but with car in gear with the clutch in the car will die if u hit the brakes.

Than more than likely disc is in backwards. If you have the car in teh air, tranny in gear, push in clutch pedal, hit brakes, and motor dies, clutch disc is not dis-engauging, and under your circumstances, thinking that you put in disc backwards, that is what i would believe at this point.

but goin threw the gears fills smooth.
With motor off? Or motor running? I thought above you said it was notchy?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

t does'nt want to go into gear, just ginds. Thanks for tips.

Smooth now? Or notchy like this post says?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Well with more and more bleeding it is a little smoother. But it doe'snt want to go back into gear if i start car in neutral and then try and put it in gear it grinds. If i start car up in gear and keep pedal fully pressed it will go threw all gears and clutch will hold as i let it out and give it gas. Seem its just staying engaged all the time. I can hold it at 20mph in gear and press clutch in and it stays at 20mph. Think im just gonna pull tranny tomarrow
Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 PM
FormerVendor

Well with more and more bleeding it is a little smoother. But it doe'snt want to go back into gear if i start car in neutral and then try and put it in gear it grinds. If i start car up in gear and keep pedal fully pressed it will go threw all gears and clutch will hold as i let it out and give it gas. Seem its just staying engaged all the time. I can hold it at 20mph in gear and press clutch in and it stays at 20mph. Think im just gonna pull tranny tomarrow

Yeah, at this point, that is what I would do, as you obviously have something screwy going on. Well, let us know.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

I just want to point out that unless your time is only worth slave labor rates, this is why a used clutch is NEVER a good idea. Even though in this case the manufacturer IS trying to help (usually can't count on that), he still can't give definitive advice because the part went through other hands first.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Yep my dumb butt put the disk in backwards. Now if i coluld get the trans lined up id be in good shape, sucks cause it slid in so easy last time.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Yep my dumb butt put the disk in backwards. Now if i coluld get the trans lined up id be in good shape, sucks cause it slid in so easy last time.

Glad you got it figured out. GL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: clutch disc in backwards?