Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

dyno tomorrow. race gas to meth swap, tuning sugestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default dyno tomorrow. race gas to meth swap, tuning sugestions?

we are going to hit up the dyno tomorrow with the wagon. the main reason we are going is we all want to see the diference in power between race fuel and meth. right now our iat's go from 110deg to 215deg during the run. the set up was built with meth in mind and has no intercooler and it also has a pair of 96lb injectors right after the turbos.

right now we are running around 35% duty cycle with 10 96's running race gas, that is at 510rwhp hp on a mustang dyno. with the meth we expect to be in the ~80% duty cycle range or higher. this is a duel fuel set up so 99% of the time it will be running on pump gas and only on the meth at wot.

i am hoping for 50+hp without changing the boost level.

anyone want to give predictions or have any tuning suggestions to give? our plan is to tune it to ~11.5-11.9 on gas and then take that fuel times 2.5 and run the meth. set up is stock 6.0 other than ls6 cam and springs, around 10psi for now. 4l80e with lock up.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Is the stock 6.0 an lq4 or lq9? If it's an lq4 you should be able to ramp up a metric ****-ton of extra timing. Combined with the extra oxygen in the meth, that should give more than 50hp extra. Also, because of the meth's lower burn temps, you shouldn't have to deviate as far below stoich as you would with gasoline. As usual, I look forward to seeing the results of your experiment.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would think getting your iat's down 80+ deg would make you alot of power. 215* is crazy hot, goes to show you how tough the stock 6.0L is Good luck with your toy, that thing is bad ***
Old 07-14-2009, 10:01 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by gametech
Is the stock 6.0 an lq4 or lq9? If it's an lq4 you should be able to ramp up a metric ****-ton of extra timing. Combined with the extra oxygen in the meth, that should give more than 50hp extra. Also, because of the meth's lower burn temps, you shouldn't have to deviate as far below stoich as you would with gasoline. As usual, I look forward to seeing the results of your experiment.
lq4.

i guess for the test to mean much we will need to optimize the timing for each fuel. we have always ran 15deg with the race fuel and then just added boost when we wanted more power.

from what i am reading we should be able to run a ton of fuel if we want. as rich as 4/1 but probably in the 5-6/1 range.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
lq4.

i guess for the test to mean much we will need to optimize the timing for each fuel. we have always ran 15deg with the race fuel and then just added boost when we wanted more power.

from what i am reading we should be able to run a ton of fuel if we want. as rich as 4/1 but probably in the 5-6/1 range.
My optimism came from the dual fuel/pump gas comment. Compared to good race gas, I have no clue what the results will be.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just read the AFRs off the gasoline scale if ruining a mix of the two. Your intake valve temp will be considerably lower and your EGTs too. You should be able to run a lot more ign advance.

I would not be surprised if you can tune another 100+hp into it at the same boost level. By the time you see the extra hp with the meth, I would expect to tap out those 96's completely.

Should be a lot of fun, looking forward to results and what you find!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 04:14 PM
single digit dreamer

it will be 100% on meth until we max out those 10 96's. above that we might run both sets to get us by.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm confused.
For the test are you going to run 100% meth or just run meth thru the 2 extra injectors and race gas thru the other 8?
Are the 2 extra injectors controlled by an aftermarket EMS or some sort of standalone meth inj setup?
If thru the EMS, how are you biasing the 2 extra injectors? By this I mean are they getting equal duty or are they working more or less than the other 8?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he runs a megasquirt EMS.
http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm

pretty cool lil box.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has 18 injectors with MS. 8 for pump gas cruising, 10 for meth at WOT.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by slow67
He has 18 injectors with MS. 8 for pump gas cruising, 10 for meth at WOT.
yes. we are running 8 on pump gas and then around 100kpa it phases over to the other 10 injectors. the initial 8 pump gas injectors eventually shut off completely.

tonight things were going well. got it tuned well on the race gas and the fade from pump to race gas worked well. then we went for the meth. started out at 2.5x the amount of meth as we had race gas and it went way rich. after a few runs pulling fuel we killed something. we thought we killed the squirt but it turned out it was just a fuse but by the time we found the problem we were all ready off the dyno. we will have to go back next week and get some numbers.

we did get it close enough to goto the track on friday. a/f ratio is showing around 10.0 on the gauge and it is pulling hard. power numbers were looking to be the same or slightly more than with race gas but that is without upping the timing and we were still pig rich. really we didn't learn anything about meth tonight.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well stociometric for Alcohol is way different, especially when you are running 100% Methanol I am sure you realized that, but I didn't see what you AFR was on the Meth.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well stociometric for Alcohol is way different, especially when you are running 100% Methanol I am sure you realized that, but I didn't see what you AFR was on the Meth.
10.0 on the gauge(calibrated for gas) should be fairly rich.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes when cal. for gas that is pretty rich. Methanol has a pretty wide tuning window as far as air fuel though. Keeping it a little rich will help pull a lot of heat from the charge. Good luck at the track and at the dyno next time.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 PM
single digit dreamer

ok, we learned a few things tonight. some things were confusing. we were running 2 lc1's but were getting significantly different numbers from one bank to the other. 9.5 on the right, 11.0 on the right. sensor location wasn't exactly the same, one turbo might be leaking a slight bit of oil... who knows why they were different. also our boost was floating around as much as .5psi. kind of hard to count on your numbers if you see .5psi change in boost.

mustang dyno, no intercooler, locked 4l80e, boost around 10psi, stock 6.0 other than 02 z06 cam and good springs.

base run with 118tt fuel and 16deg of timing was 499-505rwhp. a/f at 11.5-11.9, 3 runs, ait's in the 220-240 range.

switch to meth and tune to 9.5 on the same gauge got us 524rwhp, 2 runs with exact same hp numbers. iat's droping to 80deg by the end of the run. from 240 with race gas to 80 with meth.

move timing up to 18deg and gained 17hp(541hp) but we also saw a .5more psi.

moved timing to 20deg and got a couple more hp, then 22deg and a couple more hp, then 24deg and a couple more hp. we ended up around 555hp. the hp alone was not worth running that much timing but the car was pulling much cleaner each time we added more. chart was smoother and the power after the peek numbers carried much better.

next we tried to add a little boost. after about 5 runs we were never able to get our boost solenoid to work. what we did see is the car getting leaner and leaner. not sure why it was geting leaner but i can say for sure the car liked it. each run we made more power but boost never went up. af ratio ended up around 11.3(11.9 on lc1 number 2). at that a/f ratio we pulled 604rwhp. this was back to back runs.

we are happy as could be with 600rwhp at 10psi. seems like that would be around 700rw on a dynojet. the fairmont was a lot different but for comparison sakes we made 535rwhp at 14psi.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some very intresting results! any idea why you have diffrent AFRs on each bank?? maybe worth getting the injectors tested??

Cheers

Chris.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by chuntington101
some very intresting results! any idea why you have diffrent AFRs on each bank?? maybe worth getting the injectors tested??

Cheers

Chris.
like i said above the sensors are slightly different locations, one of the turbos seems to be leaking a slight amount. car seems to have some voltage issues where the coolant temp readings are a little off at wot and snap back to normal right after you let off so maybe that? or maybe they really are different from bank to bank. injectors are brand new and the car runs well so we probably wont worry about it too much.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I tuned a supercharged LT1 this past weekend using meth or rather windshield fluid, The A/F would have a good fat curve but started to lean out at the top, the motor didn't sound smooth, we did a couple of runs then decided to cut the fluids. A/F graph smoothed out, the motor sounded much crisper and made more hp,?? Maybe the windshield washer fluid?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:12 AM
single digit dreamer

whoa. car runs good

drove it to the track
first run was a soft launch, 1.83 60' and then john let out well before then end and ran a 7.0@92

next run he hit it slightly harder off the line and pulled a 1.77 60' and then hit the brakes before then end. ran 6.9@91

third run he did a pretty hard brake stall before letting the car go and pulled a 1.65 60'. on that run he ran it all the way. timing malfunction

while waiting in line for another run the car died. it never dies. turns out we burnt up a voltage regulator or something along those lines. easy and cheap fix but not at the track so we had to drag it home.

i didn't drive the car but from where i was at it looks very smooth and it looks like it is really moving. we didnt expect a 1.65 60' with just a brake stall so we are real happy about that. john said he is almost sure it pulled a wheel on that last run. car seems so quiet at the track. i bet that last run was in the 6.6 range at well over 100mph.

next is a little nitrous to help it off the line. for now it is making pleanty of power so making it off the line better and working thru any issues will be our next goals. i think it will be well into the 9's on 10-11psi wich is our minimum boost.

Quick Reply: dyno tomorrow. race gas to meth swap, tuning sugestions?