Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder head temp port

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder head temp port

Can i drill a hole big enough to tap it with a 3/8npt tap? Is there enough room in there not to get into anything vital. It will be about a 5/8 hole. I will be doing this into the drivers side head on the front. The temp guage i bought has this adapter with it so thats what I must use i guess. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Yes, you can tap it for 3/8 NPT. Are you eliminating the temp sensor on the drivers side head, where you were talking about drilling? You can do that if carburated, but If your running fuel injected you need to keep that one for the computer to get temp readings. You can pull out the allen headed plug on the passenger head towards the rear, its the same port, just not being used by anything factory. Thats the one i usually drill & tap for my aftermarket temp gauge.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

the Problem is that the engine is in and there is no way to drill and tap the passernger side head. I was unaware that the computer needed that port on the drivers side head. I bought the adapter for the passenger side head but had to adapt up to 3/8npt and that took the water temp sensor out of the water channel and it is now vertical about an inch and a half from the head. With my temp gun the top hose reads a little different than my temp gage in the cab and I am wondering if that is because its not gettting the flow of water and thats the reason for the false readings.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Launching!

You can also drill / tap the water pump and put the gauge temp sensor there. I would leave the computers' temp sender in its original spot though, that is how the computer knows when to switch from open to closed loop operations, among other things.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

X2 on the removing that factory temp sensor.

If you dont want to / cant tap into the water pump, use one of the Flex-A-Lite hose adapters that allow you to put a sensor in it. That thing also allows a place for that pesky TB coolant line to go if you are transplanting and dont have a place for it.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b.../?autoview=SKU

Looks pretty slick.

Or maybe tap the thermostat housing. If the thermostat dont have a small hole in it already drill one in it, like 1/8 inch. That way you always get flow thru it and its easier to purge the system and a temp sensor will always get a representative flow by it.