C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Reduced power mode...high temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reduced power mode...high temp

Well, this morning I ordered the weak link in my coolant system (something I found during my water pump/hose/thermostat install last weekend), the coolant reservoir. It cost me about $65 bucks shipped.

Well, today I go to the DMV and get the car legal to drive on the street and decided to drive to work this afternoon, via the pass and ID office. Well, I notice the coolant temp rising as I was cruising H-1, to the point that the car goes into "reduce power mode" and I manage to get to the pass and ID office at the Pearl Harbor main gate. I open the hood and sure enough the weak link on the reservoir had snapped off.

I checked the oil and it is clean, no milky residue, no issues with coolant or odd smells. The coolant apparently was flushed out when the hose snapped from the reservoir.

I seriously did not want to leave the car on the H-1, so I had to drive it about a mile like that. If you have never been to Hawaii, some areas of the major highway H-1 have no true exits to just pull off on and find a gas station to stop at, nor are the narrow shoulders safe for long waits on tow trucks. Did I screw up?

Well, I call USAA and had them call a tow for me. I will probably be at sea when the new part shows up, but I have concerns about the motor running like that. Any comments? At least something constructive, I know I am stoopid.

Micah

Quick Reply: Reduced power mode...high temp