Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much HP do these mods get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much HP do these mods get?

Underdrive pulley
Aftermarket Cold air intake
slp y pipe and magnaflow

I assume its probably around 25ish fly wheel hp? Im just getting used to these ls1s. Ive been a 5.0 guy =D

Also.. Are there any other bolt ons i can add for some extra hp? Not trying to get all mod happy just yet lol
Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

Well what are your mods?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Just those 3 i listed
Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you could get 20-25 RWHP gains.

Maybe I missed it..do you have longtubes (Headers)?

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I would say between 20 and 25. Dyno before and after.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

how much does a underdrive pulley help? power and track #'s
Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The pulley is one modification I have not done.

I have no particular objection to adding a pulley, but by the time I did heads, cam, gearing, etc., I lost interest in putting one on.

I think most people get a legitimate ~8-12 HP (at most) RWHP from a pulley. Just helps you spin that flywheel a little faster.

Probably a good mod when you are doing a cam change. Somehow I missed it, but even a 8 HP gain sounds good to me.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 07-16-2009, 01:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeX10
Underdrive pulley
Aftermarket Cold air intake
slp y pipe and magnaflow

I assume its probably around 25ish fly wheel hp? Im just getting used to these ls1s. Ive been a 5.0 guy =D

Also.. Are there any other bolt ons i can add for some extra hp? Not trying to get all mod happy just yet lol

Mail order tuning carries a good bang for the buck
Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

The car had headers on it but took them off to pass CA emissions =( Maybe i will take it to the shop to put them back on though soon.

How much HP does SLP lids give? looks like that will be my next bolt on
Old 07-16-2009, 03:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea those California Emissions are tough. Colorado is stringent. Luckily I live just outside the mandatory testing zone.

Be careful trying to re-install those longtube headers in your locale. Doesn't California have the right to enforce any re-location of the catalytic converter (headers) even on a routine traffic stop?

As far as the lid, GM High-Tech Performance Magazine (Tm) recently had an extensive article where they tested various lids on the dyno and also on the track. The results were fairly impressive. HP Gains were in a range of +11-14 RWHP, and track times on some runs were .1-.2 faster in the quarter mile than the stock lid.

In my case, I added the lid prior to installing headers. I actually like the 'sound' difference of the after market lid over the factory baffles. Now, with headers..well the exhaust tone pretty much overrides any other engine sounds, so that experience was relatively short-lived.

I chose the SLP Lid (new version), but I am staying far away from any debate of which Lid to choose. I think for your purposes, if you are choosing a specific brand-name lid that is fine.

Frost brings up a very good point. A good tune not only adds usable HP & TQ, but overall improves idle quality and your general driving experience. I am sure he can fill you in on all the details. And if you have a wideband, you can really nail down the correct WOT AFR and really liven up your car's performance.

I apologize if I have over-explained. Bolt-ons were some of my favorite mods. They almost all work, were easy to install, and gave immediate gratification. It is only when I got into Heads/Cams that required a lot more research and homework to get it right.

Good luck..

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Staging Lane

good info
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
Yea those California Emissions are tough. Colorado is stringent. Luckily I live just outside the mandatory testing zone.

Be careful trying to re-install those longtube headers in your locale. Doesn't California have the right to enforce any re-location of the catalytic converter (headers) even on a routine traffic stop?

As far as the lid, GM High-Tech Performance Magazine (Tm) recently had an extensive article where they tested various lids on the dyno and also on the track. The results were fairly impressive. HP Gains were in a range of +11-14 RWHP, and track times on some runs were .1-.2 faster in the quarter mile than the stock lid.

In my case, I added the lid prior to installing headers. I actually like the 'sound' difference of the after market lid over the factory baffles. Now, with headers..well the exhaust tone pretty much overrides any other engine sounds, so that experience was relatively short-lived.

I chose the SLP Lid (new version), but I am staying far away from any debate of which Lid to choose. I think for your purposes, if you are choosing a specific brand-name lid that is fine.

Frost brings up a very good point. A good tune not only adds usable HP & TQ, but overall improves idle quality and your general driving experience. I am sure he can fill you in on all the details. And if you have a wideband, you can really nail down the correct WOT AFR and really liven up your car's performance.

I apologize if I have over-explained. Bolt-ons were some of my favorite mods. They almost all work, were easy to install, and gave immediate gratification. It is only when I got into Heads/Cams that required a lot more research and homework to get it right.

Good luck..

..WeathermanShawn..
11-14WHP just for the lid? damnnn aahaa. Looks like its time to buy one of those.

Whats the ballpark estimate for a tune on these ls1s?
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Go with Frost on this. For his mail order tune it's 125 plus S/H. You could always go all out and spend 4-600 for a dyno tune, but with the mods you have (or lack there-of) it would be MORE than worth it to get it done by Frost. Check his website.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8-14 hp from pullies?? Anyone actually got these gains???